• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering knuckle/spindle help

icoad1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 3.0 FFV
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock (for now)
Total Drop
Stock (for now)
Tire Size
Stock (for now)
So my daughter managed to totally destroy her front drivers side wheel bearings. In the process, the inner race of the small bearing has welded itself to the spindle, and the spindle threads are damaged.

Being a nice dad, and wanting to keep wife happy, I want to replace the knuckle/spindle but I simply CANNOT find one. The Ranger is RWD with front coils (2000 model year) so I have tracked down that the Ford part number is F87Z-3106-AA, but everywhere I look it is discontinued and not available.

Does anyone know an equivalent part number? Is it possible to use the RWD Torsion front suspension knuckle in this application?

Any and all help greatly appreciated

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
One of the other guys here should chim in with a link for used parts. I thought I had it saved but I can't find it.

forget what I just wrote I found it. https://www.car-part.com/
I hope this helps

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I'd go hunting at pull-a-part if you have one local.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, used is likely the best option, conveniently they made a bazillion (plus or minus a couple...) of that configuration, any 2wd aside from the Edge model from '98 to '11 should work I believe.

No, you cannot use anything in the front end from anything with torsion bars.

renton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i'm in same boat one of my spindles is worn but finding replacement is a pain. I'm not keen on removing one at a wreckers since i need a lot of tools and time. I considered lift spindles since they are easy to find.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Did you try Tasca? Sometimes they have random discontinued stuff, NOS and such. Junkyard should be fine to search, should be pretty obvious what ones are junk and what aren’t. The one yard by my GF has a pile of 2wd Rangers, but it’s going to be a little bit before I can get out there again. Lift spindles would be an option.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I agree with the guys saying go pick a part junkyard, or find a cross reference compatible. I'm sure they used those A-arms on other models, I'd start with explorers or minivans/big cars.

Anecdote: I did the same thing as your kid when I was a kid lol. Full on lost the wheel (and 37" tire) On a lifted to hell 2wd dodge ram. It had a Rancho lift spindle that bent in the process. Unfortunately production of that spindle was discontinued.

Via my local 4Wheelparts, I got in touch with Rancho, who was willing to produce just one more spindle for me. It wasn't cheap, and took 6 weeks, but I fixed my truck! Ever since then I mind my wheel bearings more lol.

icoad1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 3.0 FFV
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock (for now)
Total Drop
Stock (for now)
Tire Size
Stock (for now)
Thank you all for your help, especially @Vindictus - that link is awesome and saved in my favorites now. Picked up a used part at a wrecker for $50 and got the daughter back on the road same day.

@renton - the wrecker I went to (in Rancho Cordova) actually pulled the part for me, which was great because it was already 95 degrees by the time I got there!!

@lil_Blue_Ford - yes, I did manage to find one at Tasca, but they wanted $731 for it, and that was way too steep for me

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you all for your help, especially @Vindictus - that link is awesome and saved in my favorites now. Picked up a used part at a wrecker for $50 and got the daughter back on the road same day.

@renton - the wrecker I went to (in Rancho Cordova) actually pulled the part for me, which was great because it was already 95 degrees by the time I got there!!

@lil_Blue_Ford - yes, I did manage to find one at Tasca, but they wanted $731 for it, and that was way too steep for me
Ouch, that is a bit steep. Glad you were able to get a good used one from the wreckers. Most yards anymore will pull stuff for you. The yard by my GF pulls a lot of parts. When I started going there, there was a lot of “well, if you think you can get it off, we will sell it a little cheaper” but for the most part I’m able to get stuff off myself. Battery powered Milwaukee tools FTW.

GearHead36

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wow! Deja-vu. My daughter lost control on a wet road of her 2000 XLT w/coil springs, and jumped a curb. An alignment shop told me that it had a bent frame. Frame shop told me it had a bent frame and knuckle (among other parts). And the parts need to be replaced first. I can concur that this knuckle is not available anywhere.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They might not be available new, but there are bazillions of them out there (to quote @scotts90ranger )
Local PnP has 3 currently; the competition (Bucks) probably has another 3.​
I'd have another couple in my stash at the farm (but the clan has 2 coil Rangers still in service, so not ready to part with yet).​

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals