• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

steel vs aluminum

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how much lighter is an aluminum wheel? say both were 15"/7" s.

looking to get new wheel and tires and wonderin if the weight difference is really worth the extra $

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
It depends on the alloy, and how heavy duty the steelies are, My American Racing black steelies are around 25lb's I think they are 15x8, but I picked up an aluminum expedition wheel I think it was... 16x8 and probably weighed less than 15 lbs, but there was a 15x7 aluminum rim I weighed at 30lbs i think. (none of these are super accurate, but close enough) So it just depends on what your looking at, stock steel wheels will probably just weigh a few pounds heavier than stock aluminum wheels. Another thing steel rust and aluminum corrodes.

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
Its a noticable difference, but if your truck sees trails that have a lot of large rocks I would stick to steel, if not then go with aluminum

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
If your truck is going to be used for offroad I would purchase a quality set of steel wheels. If you are using your truck for racing/hard acceleration purposes then purchase a good quality aluminum wheel. The aluminum wheels will be lighter and prove beneficial in an on-street truck to enhance accleration/fuel mileage a hair.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea ill prolly look into some alloys then cause i really dont mob the truck. i need it to be able to get me to the dirtbike track and back 4-5 days outta the week..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals