• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Starts sometimes runs like crap and back fires

97 parts truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My truck developed a lifter tick so i fixed that and went to start it up and it wouldn't. I checked timing was all set then I checked the fuel pressure good, then I checked spark that's where this starts to get interesting had spark on 3 of 4 cylinders but the wire was damaged so I did new plug wires. After changing the plug wires I got the truck to start but it will on run when you pump/ floor it, but it doesn't run right it misses/backfires out of the intake. its probably something simple that I'm overlooking but I have been working on this thing for 3 days straight and I cant find anything on the forums. Any help would be very appreciated (only CEL is for a coolant temp sensor)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Take a compression reading... My guess is you've got valves stuck open after messing with the lifters or the timing is way off.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can only be the cam/crank timing it off
Could be crank sensor timing so harmonic balancer issue

Back fire out the intake means fuel is ignited while intake valve is still open
So spark is happening too early or way too late
Spark timing is controlled by the crank
Cam timing is the valves

A compression test will tell you if crank/cam are in time, expected is 150+psi per cylinder
COLD engine, remove 1 spark plug from each cylinder first, then test

If all are under 130psi then timing belt is off

97 parts truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A compression test will tell you if crank/cam are in time, expected is 150+psi per cylinder
COLD engine, remove 1 spark plug from each cylinder first, then test

If all are under 130psi then timing belt is off
Did a compression test last night. Cylinder 1 was at 160, 2 was at 155, 3 180,4 170. I also found that one port on my coil pack isn’t sparking the other 3 work could that be my issue?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1 and 2 on compression test are troublesome, 170 and 180psi is average 175psi putting 155psi out of 10% expected range
And 160 with 155 next store could mean head gasket breach between the two, but wild guess

Yes, would be odd not to have a Code for that but no spark would cause a misfire of course

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It really depends on what the other coil pack is doing, I had a misfire on my '97, all the plugs and wires were original (at like 150k miles), one plug wire had backed out at the coil pack and burnt out the connector on that end of the coil (like all through the metal socket down there and through the side of the plastic the plug wire clips to), it drove just fine just a random misfire code...

I would be suspect on the head gasket too, a leak down test would tell more, if any air is getting through to the next cylinder with both plugs out that would tell you.

97 parts truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It really depends on what the other coil pack is doing, I had a misfire on my '97, all the plugs and wires were original (at like 150k miles), one plug wire had backed out at the coil pack and burnt out the connector on that end of the coil (like all through the metal socket down there and through the side of the plastic the plug wire clips to), it drove just fine just a random misfire code...

I would be suspect on the head gasket too, a leak down test would tell more, if any air is getting through to the next cylinder with both plugs out that would tell you.
both packs have less than 10000 miles also sense new packs have done wires and plugs

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I would recommend doing a leak down test, for $30 it could tell you some things. Ideally you put 100psi air to the cylinder at TDC at the first gauge, look what the second gauge reads, should be 90psi or better (but a little more might not be the end of the world, depends on what all of them do, kinda like a compression test), also listen to where the air is going IE the next cylinder, oil fill cap, exhaust pipe, radiator or intake which should cover all the options of where it's going.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals