• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter relay wire connectors question

TheOldRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 1987 Ranger STX 2.9l 4x4 manual transmission. I have just replaced the starter motor which had failed. The engine now starts, but the battery drains overnight with all electrical accessories off. The problem appears to be a grounded wire on the feed terminal of the starter relay. There are five wires connected to the feed terminal including the +battery cable. the other four are colored red, orange, yellow and black. There is continuity to the chassis from the black wire. The black wire is in the harness that includes the R/LB clutch interlock switch wire. It is larger in diameter than the clutch interlock switch wire. It is the wire leading straight down in the attached picture of the wires and relay. Is this an ignition switch lead that may be grounded? The starter motor will not run without it. The rubber connector has "FUSIBLE LINK GA" stamped on it. Thanks for any help.

IMG_0511.jpg

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That fusible link should be power to the ignition switch. Mine is the same color (the schematic says it's orange), and travels with the red/blue wire to the ignition switch. Yours should have a "16" inside a circle between the "link" and "GA" (GA is for gauge). Did this happen before you replaced the starter or after? It sounds like the ignition switch is not completely in the off position, and the ground you are reading is picked up through the device that is draining your battery. A dead short to ground on the fusible link would burn it out. The ignition switch is on the steering column next to the ignition key cylinder.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Black/orange stripe wire?

Black/white stripe wire?

Only solid black wire should be starter motor "cable" on the other larger post

There are 2 Black/orange one should run to alternator and other cigarette light/horn fuse and main light switch

Black/white was for power door locks

I show a Yellow wire for ignition switch?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
RonD, It must transition to yellow at some point (maybe), as my '87 4x4 STX has the same black fusible link; and the power distribution schematic does not even show a black fusible link. Out of curiosity, I'll have to check the wiring at the ignition switch later today to be sure.

TheOldRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Outstanding! All of the symptoms I have experienced make sense with a faulty ignition switch. It may also be why the starter ate itself not disengaging. I've ordered a new switch and will report back on the results.

¡Muchas gracias!

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
TheOldRanger,
Check your starter solenoid. I installed a new starter and solenoid last November and the new solenoid would not disengage. I made the mistake of getting a cheap eBay part. Never again. Check the voltage on the starter/load side of your solenoid to be sure that your power drain isn't there (unlikely, but possible).

I just disconnected the black fusible link on mine, and it definitely feeds the ignition switch. Somewhere under the dash it changes from black to at least two yellows (probably the back of fuse box), which feeds the switch.

TheOldRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As it turned out, the cable to the starter motor was worn and in contact with the frame. I appreciate the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals