• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter pinion not disengaging.

IceBergeRanger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hey there.

Have a 1992 4.0L that's been having some starter issues. First problem I had was the truck started up fine but heard a clanking kind of noise coming from underneath. Shut off the ignition and the starter kept cranking. Turned ignition back on and was attempting to get it home and the clanking finally stopped while it was running. Starter disengaged finally. Got it home, shut it off and after that the starter would not spin. Starter relay still clicked on the fender wall but not juice. So figured I needed a new starter. Got a new one installed with a new relay just to be safe and the truck fires right up, however there's still that same clinking sound while it's running like the starter pinion isn't disengaged while the engine is running.

Don't see any adjustments that can really be made to how the starter sits and the flywheel teeth still look good. So is there some wiring that I can't think of that could be effecting that or does anyone just think I got a lemon of a new starter that won't retract it's gear?

Thanks

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Are the flywheel teeth damaged? There are shims for starters on some blocks, but I'm not sure about the 4.0L.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Start the engine then unplug the smaller red/blue wire on the Starter relay's "S" terminal, on inner fender and see if the clicking stops
Test it to see if it shows any voltage, should be 0 volts except when trying to start engine

Red/blue wire is from ignition switch, has 12volt ONLY when key is turned to START
Could be shorted to another 12volt full time wire, so has just enough voltage to cause the clicking issue

Manual trans has a Clutch switch on the pedal, but don't think there are any 12v wires on that 6 pin connector

Ignition switch has lots of 12v key on wires, lol

Stater motor has the small cylinder on the top, thats the solenoid that pulls the starter gear out to engage flywheel
Its spring loaded so without 12volts gear is pulled back
There is a smaller terminal on this solenoid, also "S" terminal, when that has 12v solenoid pulls starter gear out and ALSO activates starter motor AFTER gear is out all the way, so its dual purpose, a solenoid/relay
1992 should have that setup
The clicking may be because that "S" post is getting voltage leaked to it, should be 0 volts except when starting, voltage comes from starter relay on inner fender

On newer vehicles that red/blue wire runs directly to the starter motor solenoid

Old starters didn't have the solenoid, no cylinder on the top, just used a Bendix or similar spring drive to push out starter gear and retract it

Last edited:

IceBergeRanger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Start the engine then unplug the smaller red/blue wire on the Starter relay's "S" terminal, on inner fender and see if the clicking stops
Test it to see if it shows any voltage, should be 0 volts except when trying to start engine

Red/blue wire is from ignition switch, has 12volt ONLY when key is turned to START
Could be shorted to another 12volt full time wire, so has just enough voltage to cause the clicking issue

Manual trans has a Clutch switch on the pedal, but don't think there are any 12v wires on that 6 pin connector

Ignition switch has lots of 12v key on wires, lol

Stater motor has the small cylinder on the top, thats the solenoid that pulls the starter gear out to engage flywheel
Its spring loaded so without 12volts gear is pulled back
There is a smaller terminal on this solenoid, also "S" terminal, when that has 12v solenoid pulls starter gear out and ALSO activates starter motor AFTER gear is out all the way, so its dual purpose, a solenoid/relay
1992 should have that setup
The clicking may be because that "S" post is getting voltage leaked to it, should be 0 volts except when starting, voltage comes from starter relay on inner fender

On newer vehicles that red/blue wire runs directly to the starter motor solenoid

Old starters didn't have the solenoid, no cylinder on the top, just used a Bendix or similar spring drive to push out starter gear and retract it
Don't see a red/blue wire. Relay only clicks when it should. My guess is the old starter mounted solenoid quit and never disengaged the old start motor. New one doesn't seem to have that problem but the spring loaded gear may not be retracting when rpms come up at idle? My guess is it's a lemon starter with a bad gear spring but was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you want to pull out the starter you can test that
Just ground the starter and apply 12v to the "S" post, you will see the gear go out and come back all the way when you remove the 12v, starter won't spin

If it's not retracting you will see that

IceBergeRanger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Update!
AutoZone sold me the wrong starter. They gave me the one for the Automatic and not the manual. No damage to my truck but deffinetly frustrating and I'll be sure to ask about that detail in the future when getting parts. For what ever reason the AutoZone guy blew by that question when I bought mine to start with.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Sadly... that is pretty typical service these days at the big chain stores.

I usually do my research and ask for a certain part number or order online.

IceBergeRanger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that's deffinetly what I will keep top of mind. Ended up giving me a 20% discount for all the trouble but still lots of wasted time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals