• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Standard or Severe Duty Fan Clutch?

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Im looking to replace my fan blade and clutch when I do my waterpump soon, and just wanted some thoughts on what provides the most cooling without sacrificing power. I know its usually a trade off, but im looking at hopefully something like -10% HP + 25% more efficient cooling, not -20% HP + 15% better cooling.
I know the AT runs a lot hotter, so I'd like a heavy duty clutch & blade, but it seems like its either Standard Duty or Severe Duty. I very rarely tow so severe duty feels like over kill, but standard sounds weak..
whatchu guys think?
Thanks,
James

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
If you aren't towing then you're probably doing pretty standard stuff with your truck. You could look at those flex fans that pull hard at lower RPMS and flatten out when engine speed increases. Ever considered a dual core radiator? I think some Explorers have them.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Electric fan conversion would be best.
Better low speed cooling and you get the extra horse power from not having a belt driven fan.

But standard duty would seem to fit your needs

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, thats what I was thinking. I already have the 2 row radiator, and I was just curious about the severe duty clutch & blade because its had overheating issues since day 1. Seems like I can only get about 2 years (and only maybe 8k miles or so) before the thermostat takes a dump.
So what about the fan blade itself? Ive noticed that the severe duty fan blade has 1 more blade then the standard.. Would I have to do a severe duty clutch if I got the severe duty blade?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If new blade fits clutch then it will be fine.

Fan clutch works by radiator heat, as rad temp heats up it will heat the bi-metal spring on the front of the clutch causing it to engage more.
For this to work correctly fan shroud must be in place and central rad tubes must be passing coolant so they heat up and then heat up the spring.

I have a '94 4.0l, only time I had an off and on overheating issue was when the heater core was getting older and starting to clog up.
Seems on the '94 model the heater core is the by-pass system for the coolant so coolant needs to flow thru it all the time, if flow is "iffy" then odd overheating occurs.
Not sure if the '93 used the same design.
Nice thing is a new core is $28 and very easy to replace on that year, 4 screws.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals