• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spindle Nut Sockets ?? HELP

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I told you, the auto hub is not on there tight at all. Put a flathead screwdriver on the edge of the flat spot at a mild and and smack it toward the counter clockwise. It wont hurt the nut and after a few smacks it will be finger loose. Save yourself the time and headache of located the socket.

4x4TILL_I_DIE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i'll try that first I was just going to be doing this in a borrowed garage and I only had a day so I was trying to get all these special tools together so I could to it quick and easy thanks for the help.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you go to buy the sockets the one on the auto hubs are technically a bearing locknut, and you shouldnt need to get one as it shouldnt be real tight, i didnt know there was a pin under the threads (good magnets works most of the time to pull it out) so i ended up buying a 1 1/4 socket and grinding it out because i couldnt find a larger one, by the way the locknut is 6 sided not 8 so a standard socket like that comes in a tool set probably wont work, you could also get a huge box end wrench and grind the handle to fit between the wheel studs

93rangerXLT4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
im just about to go out to the shop and attempt this, good know before i start i can use a pair of channel locks to get the nut off. since i dont have a socket either can i just tap it on with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer, to tighten the manual hub nuts??

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The MANUAL hub nuts NEEDS the special socket to tighten them

The auto hub socket? I've neve owned one as you ony use it to get the nut rotated enough to take the tension off the locking "key" to remove the nut (and you do that ONCE! and the involved parts go in the trash.

And to the post above No, D44's use the same exact nut with the same exact threads

the oddball one is the D44 with that goofy ratcheting "self locking" nut that ford used in the early to mid 90's

AD

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
like Alland suggested only tap with flathead for removing the auto hubnut. You must have some kinda of torque reading tool for the locknuts. IE the locknut socket and your gut feeling or torque wrench.....12lb-16lbs on the inner nut , then torque the hell outta the outer nut. Just make sure when you torque the outer nut that both nuts arent spinning. One of my locknuts is out of shape from a random hammer and I cant torque the outer without the inner spinning.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that's inch pounds on the inner nut.

your keyed/pinned washer between the nuts is probably broken, which is the only way the inner would spin without the outer.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
through summit, but the kicker is that it will probly cost $12 in shipping. i got mine at autozone for around $20.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
the oddball one is the D44 with that goofy ratcheting "self locking" nut that ford used in the early to mid 90's

AD
Sterling 10.25, 10.50 and newer dana 80's use the ratchet, im a fan of it really.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
through summit, but the kicker is that it will probly cost $12 in shipping. i got mine at autozone for around $20.
Right, but the only socket I can find on summit is $22 plus shipping.

No worries, I stopped in at NAPA and they had one for $15.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals