• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some weekend flex

Phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Short shake down run

Found some small bugs to workout, should have it solid for summer runs..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice clean rig, good moves too :icon_thumby:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how do you like the creepy crawlers?, put some jeep springs on that thing! good looking rig tho.

Phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how do you like the creepy crawlers?, put some jeep springs on that thing! good looking rig tho.
I really like the tires, had them in mud, snow, and ice. They worked really well in all, still need to try them on the rocks, but I think they will perform as good or better in the rocks. You say jeep coils in the front? I had a set up their, but they seemed way too soft, body roll was ridiculous. Can you recommend the correct spring?

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Lookin good!

You cannot go with a soft spring with TTB without it getting tippy. There is no forced articulation to hold the rig upright and softer springs will make it worse. I built up to 16" of travel with TTB fullsize Bronco and 37's. Snapped three u-joints with 37's Dana 44 TTB playing in the rocks. TTB is good for mild rocks and going fast, not for crawlin'. Wait till you drop one of the front tires off a rock or into a hole. You are counting on the spring to hold you up and catch you when it is extended and can't. A solid axle is forced down when the other side is pushed up and will catch you.

Phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lookin good!

You cannot go with a soft spring with TTB without it getting tippy. There is no forced articulation to hold the rig upright and softer springs will make it worse. I built up to 16" of travel with TTB fullsize Bronco and 37's. Snapped three u-joints with 37's Dana 44 TTB playing in the rocks. TTB is good for mild rocks and going fast, not for crawlin'. Wait till you drop one of the front tires off a rock or into a hole. You are counting on the spring to hold you up and catch you when it is extended and can't. A solid axle is forced down when the other side is pushed up and will catch you.
Thinking I will sas it next winter. Thanks for your input.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck with it. I'd have it, but got my Ranger.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you look around on here you will find many doing all sorts of crawling with a TTB and minimal carnage.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you look around on here you will find many doing all sorts of crawling with a TTB and minimal carnage.
I didn't say you couldn't, but within reason for the size of your running gear. I'll stand by my opinions and have the experience of having built-up the TTB and having run both that TTB and did a SAS in my old Bronco.

How big can you go with these Ranger/Bronco/Explorer TTB and keep axle breakage and u-joint breakage down?

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
How deep are your pockets?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
35-36" is about the normal top end of a D35 but of course there are guys that can break a hammer playing in a sandbox and guys that can get away with almost anything.

It is comparable in strength to the D44 since it can run the same u joints. Ford put cheaper ones in it but D44 ones fit perfectly, I just put them in mine to replace the 20 year old ones.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This I built and is as deep as I got in to my pockets :icon_thumby::

40" tars, 609 front ARB, Sterling rear ARB, 5:38 gears, Atlas II/NP205 doubler, ZF 5 spd, one ton driveshafts, Kenne bell Blowzilla at 9lbs of boost, 393W blah blah blah, it rocked. I hurt my back and lost a job and parted it out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Obviously one ton stuff is going to be stronger, not that many make the jump in RBV land. Some do but it isn't the norm.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Obviously one ton stuff is going to be stronger, not that many make the jump in RBV land. Some do but it isn't the norm.
Yes Mr. Obvious
My old one ton stuff wasn't the point I was trying to make.

The point being that I wheeled both TTB and a Solid axle set-ups. I was a die hard TTB go fast guy till I started rock crawling. I went to the solid axle after a few, Oh shit moments out rocking with TTB. Just saying, my opinion, and from my experience. I only posted-up my old crawler as evidence of experience.

So you can put lipstick on a pig, add stronger joints, but you still have a smaller carrier, gears and axles in a Dana35. You can't expect the strength of a Dana44, not anymore than you can build up a Dana44 to the strength of a Dana 60. That doesn't stop us from trying and upgrades like u-joints do make a difference. I put the lipstick on the TTB Dana44 with locker, broke the axle slip shaft and installed a Dana 60 axle slip shaft. Then I went to a Dana44 SAS then added Ox U-joints after I snapped a couple of D44 u-joints.on 37's.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your TTB D44 kept blowing u-joints, how much does a bronco weigh? How much does a RBV weigh? How much hp did your Bronco have? How much power does a typical RBV have? D35 uses the same cross... which is also the same cross used in solid D44's. So unless you go D60 or dip heavily into the aftermarket you really are not gaining anything for strength aside from wheel bearings and brakes by going to a solid D44... but people put D44 knuckles on their D35's which would take that out of the picture too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals