• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should coolant overflow tank be vented or a sealed system?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Is there a radiator with a cap?
Is the overflow line from the radiator going to this tank?
If the radiator does not have a cap then the tank cap is doing what a radiator cap normally does. And it needs to keep pressure in...to the pressure that is specified. Usually between 13 and 16psi.
Do you have some pics of your system? Post them up.
it does have radiator cap that's why I asked this question.I bought it thinking it would vent since friggin seller said it was a vented tank.but when i started noticing upper hose was expanding pretty severely that's when I started questioning the seller of the tank.im surprised I didn't blow the hose or worse

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I assume and hope it installs with the hose attached at the bottom. I agree that it should be vented to work properly, I'd probably drill a hole for a fitting and run a short hose for a vent. Anyone who claims a coolant recovery bottle will increase horsepower is delusional or a crook.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those that are old enough will remember that most vehicles used a Degas system until the 1970s
Radiators had a FULL LINE about 2-3" below the top of radiator, and a overflow hose that just ran down the side of radiator to dump coolant on the ground if it over flowed

Degas means you leave enough AIR in the top of the radiator for the coolant to expand when its heated to 170-220degF

Degas Bottles are the same setup, the bottle needs to be the HIGH POINT in the cooling system, just the top part of the bottle/tank, it will have a FULL LINE, just like the older radiators
This is so any air bubbles will collect in the bottle during coolant circulation

Degas uses a Radiator Cap with a 14-18lbs rating so not a "sealed" bottle, it has an overflow hose but it just exits to under the vehicle in case Degas bottle/Radiator was over filled, extra coolant and any air is pushed out when coolant is heated and expands
As engine cools back down, air is sucked back in thru the smaller valve in "rad cap"
Systems with Degas bottle often have TWO rad caps, the one on the radiator IS a SEALED cap, not a pressure cap, the one on the Degas bottle is a pressure cap, so not sealed
Newer radiators for Degas system may not even have a rad cap opening

Overflow system is different in that Radiator has the pressure cap and radiator should be filled to the top, no air at all
When coolant is heated it expands and when pressure reaches cap rating, 14-18psi, hot coolant, and any air, is sent through the Over Flow hose to the BOTTOM of the over flow tank
Bottom of the tank is important, it means that any air that comes out of radiator will bubble up to the top
Overflow tank is not sealed just has a vented cap
When engine cools back down the smaller valve in rad cap sucks coolant back in from the BOTTOM of over flow tank
So radiator stays Topped Up after each cool down

Overflow tank setup allows you to add coolant while engine is still warm IF...........coolant level in the tank is lower than the WARM line when engine is fully warmed up

If overflow tank is bubbling that's because radiator has AIR in it and its being push out, its not "boiling hot" in overflow tank, but could be in engine, lol

Overflowing overflow tank usually means you have a head gasket or cracked head leaking pressure into cooling system, this pushes out coolant and replaces it with air, causing over heating, and then bubbles in the tank

Overflowing Degas system means the same thing

One is not better than the other as far as cooling systems
Degas became more popular again as radiators got LOWER in the front so couldn't be the High Point
Not Ranger specific since they still had higher front ends unlike cars, but in the case of the 2.3l Duratec which was made for cars Ford just didn't want to redesign the cooling system so stayed with Degas

Last edited:

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Very good info!How do u know all this stuff?I feel like u read a lot of repair manuals on your spare time.lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am old
Started with "Motor's Auto Repair Manuals", yes THAT OLD

And it is TRUE, "you learn more from your mistakes than you do from your success's", so.................................
Yes, I have made that many MISTAKES

Last edited:

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I assume and hope it installs with the hose attached at the bottom. I agree that it should be vented to work properly, I'd probably drill a hole for a fitting and run a short hose for a vent. Anyone who claims a coolant recovery bottle will increase horsepower is delusional or a crook.
[/QUOTE.I was think something like this to vent it. keehui 316 Stainless Steel Marine Grade Fuel Gas Tank Vent with Mounting Gasket Hardware Fitting for 5/8inch Hose https://a.co/d/0T92aOY

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals