• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shifting issues

Brandon Nootenboom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
My 97 4.0 5spd has been off and on having issues going into gears and sometimes out of them. I'm not sure where to look because they don't grind at all, they just won't go in no matter how hard I push/pull, and when it does happen it's been all gears including reverse. I don't have any metal in my tranny either. I'm thinking it's gonna be sincros or the shifter, but I'm not sure. If it were sincros, wouldn't it grind??? :icon_confused: As far as being rough coming out of gear, it's happened 3 times only when I'm stopped, it feels like something is hanging up and took a considerable amount of force to get it out. Its done it off and on for a couple months now but it did it all day Saturday and Sunday but hasn't done it the last 2 days. Any ideas?

kodex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My 95 5speed doesn't want to go into first too easily (at all actually). So I simply hold the shifter up to first and it will drop in after about three seconds (always takes the same amount of time). I believe that it's the syncros going on me, because I had the clutch bled twice and it didn't help at all. My advice to you is to never force it into or out of gear, just wait until it wants to go in. Otherwise you'll **** up your gears and have to rebuild your trans sooner rather than later when it takes a dump on its own.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have the same issue, but I have a few other things going on that I know of. I know my shift rails are messed up because even with brand new bushings I have about 2" of slop in the shifter in gear and it is never tight, not even any resistance going over to OD/R.

I also suspect that my 1 and R syncros are messed up due to repeated hydraulics failures. My #2 synco is ok, oddly enough, and it just drops right into second. See if putting it in a higher gear is any easier at a stop. I somewhat suspect you have a hydraulic leak somewhere, probably the slave.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
does it do it with the engine off or only when it's on? When it won't go into gear, try going into second or fourth before first gear or reverse, when mine acts up that helps...

Brandon Nootenboom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't matter if the trucks running or not, if it doesn't want to go it won't go no matter how long I sit on it. And generally it's all 5 gears plus reverse. until I just keep trying different gears. Once it goes into one it goes into any others. My co-worker seems to think my clutch disk is hanging up because I lurches under accelleration, which I thought was something to do with the engine not tranny. I'll have to check my shifter and shift rails. I've only forced it into gear a couple times when I was in the city holding cars up, and only forced it out twice. Is it possible to grease where the clutch disk slides? Also, I've completely blead my cluch twice and it's copmletely dry. Although I suppose intenral leak by could be possible...

Lucifer sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
From day one mine was pretty tough getting in the gear, even grinding gears sometimes, It got a little better when i changed the fluid, but one day my slave cylinder/ throw out bearing went out and puked out all the fluid forcing me to limp it home with out a clutch ( that was a fun 10 miles)

Come to find out the there was nothing left of the pilot bearing in the crankshaft. The outer race of the bearing started machining the input shaft of the transmission.

So i replaced the pilot bearing and slave cylinder and the truck shifts as if were brand new, i couldnt believe the difference.

Either way id check that before rebuilding

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals