• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

shaker

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got to go for a ride last night...without even leaving the house!

sat through a 7.7 quake,shook the house pretty good and felt like it wouldn't end(went on for close to a minute)but no one and nothing was hurt.we did have to evacuate the town for a tsunami alert,but nothing came of that....it was just a little saturday night social outing on a hilltop.

fun times:D

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have been through a few of them myself. Even here in Florida. I hate them since you don't know how long they will last of if they will start getting bigger and you have no place to go if the earth starts to crack open around you.

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Felt it in Smithers.

Good to hear nothing worse came of it. Heard they evacuated the waterfront in Prince Rupert just in case.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Felt it in Smithers.

Good to hear nothing worse came of it. Heard they evacuated the waterfront in Prince Rupert just in case.
family felt it as far as ft.st james,it's surprising nothing was damaged.to put it in perspective this one was larger than the one that hit haiti,as well as those in new zealand recently.

while there was no damage,tsunami is always a concern living on a small island.my house is 12 feet above sea level:shok:

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
A few years back when I lived in Costa Rica I sat through a 6.8 that was centered about 15 miles from where I was. After about 30 seconds I was convinced that I had enough of that. I can only imagine a 7.7.... WHHOOOHOOOO!

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A few years back when I lived in Costa Rica I sat through a 6.8 that was centered about 15 miles from where I was. After about 30 seconds I was convinced that I had enough of that. I can only imagine a 7.7.... WHHOOOHOOOO!
it's the biggest i've been through.there's been a bunch of aftershocks in the 6-6.4 range since,so it's hard to say what still may be coming.

on an unrelated note,there's a small connection between our reigions-one of the fishing lodges here recently openned a lodge in panama.have you heard of 'west coast fishing club' there?

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Where is it? Most of the sport fishing here is done up in Pedasi. I have a friend from Houston that is a big sport fishing fan and then of course there is my brother in law. Last time I went fishing with them we drank wayyyy too much on the trip up, got in late, went out real early in a 25 foot panga and was in the hot sun all day. I think all but one of us got seasick bad. But I did catch the biggest mackerel that anyone had ever seen. But that was the only fish I caught all day. Between 5 of us we brought home about 100 lbs of fish.

Hope you fare well in the roller coaster ride. All I can say about quakes is they ain't no damn fun.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

http://westcoastfishingclub.com/panama/

i do a lot of work for these guys here on haida gwaii,i'm hoping they'll need my talents in the southern branch for a week or so at some point.

as for the quake,given that there was no harm done i actually had some fun with it.had everything i own been washed away in a monster tsunami,my view might be somewhat different:headbang:

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
OK... Out in the islands. I worked as ship's engineer on a 120 ft pleasure yacht that belonged to this Russian hood type guy and we went out there and weekended. If you ever do come down here let's grab a few beers.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
But then again we all need to know if being that far north when you flush the toilet does the water swirl clockwise or being so close to the north pole go straight down as it does on the equator. But then do we really know if you flush a loo in Australia does the water swirl counterclockwise?

So many questions that it is so important to know the answers to.:icon_confused:

Last edited:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you ever do come down here let's grab a few beers.
damn rights:icon_cheers:
How does this affect your ability to flush toilet paper?
seriously,there's a pumping station that lifts everything from the sewer system up to the level of the treatment center.i know this because after a power outage before the holding tank filled up and it started backing up into our downstairs bathroom(we are the only house in the area with a basement so we get it first).the village got it sorted out fairly quickly,and fortunately we had just done a load of laundry so most of what came back up was soapy water...but it still made a pretty big mess.

i'm hoping i don't have to go through that again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals