• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Screech sound

Jeremy-b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
First I wanna say thank you to the ones who helped me on my last question. But unfortunately I need some more help. I gave a 01 ranger 4.0 shoc 6 cyl. 4x4. When I go up hill or sometimes take off from a red light. I get like a screeching sound. It doesn’t do it when idling out on flat ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your fan belt is slipping
Once that starts it will just keep getting worse because of "glazing" on the pulleys
Glazing means "glass like" so super smooth
The fan belt works by Friction, needs a good grip so it doesn't slip

Get a new fan belt first
If you are still getting "chirps" at the times you describe above, then Paint the ribbed pulleys where the belt makes contact with them this will give the belt more grip

Jeremy-b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Once that starts it will just keep getting worse because of "glazing" on the pulleys

Get a new fan belt first
If you are still getting "chirps" at the times you describe above, then Paint the ribbed pulleys where the belt makes contact with them this will give the belt more grip
I idle pulley and belt were just replaced. The tensioner pulley has a lot of play in it when it’s running. Could that be what’s slipping? I have a video but not sure how to send it.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Jeremy-b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I idle pulley and belt were just replaced. The tensioner pulley has a lot of play in it when it’s running. Could that be what’s slipping? I have a video but not sure how to send it.

Get a new fan belt first
SerpentineBelt for 2001 V6~4.0L~SOHC
0i840=0m021Wide * 87i38=2m219Long \ Ford# 4L5z-8620-ea \ Ford# jk6-873-ea
0i840=0m021Wide * 87i20=2m215Long \ Continental# 4060872 \ GatorBack# 6pk2215
0i840=0m021Wide * 87i00=2m210Long \ Continental# 4060870 \ GatorBack# 6pk2210 = Preferred

If Tensioner Pulley is wobbling then yes it needs replacing.
thank you for the info. I should of changed that when I did the idler pulley and belt. Because it jumps pretty good. I’m gonna start there. And replace the belt even though I just did.

Jeremy-b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well after changing the tensioner pulley it’s still making that noise. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any other pulleys that could make that noise? Can’t really tell where it comes from when it happens.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals