• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sas???

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Okay so i will be picking up an 89 B2 this wendsday hopefuly it has the 2.9 and a 5 speed. the down side is that it needs a clutch and that its 2wd. so i have a few questions.
1. where would be the best place to buy a new clutch for it?
2. does this year have the dummy T case in it?
3. is the front sross member differnt from the 4wd's thus making a TTB swap harder?

my plans for it as of now are as follows, pick it up, get a new clutch in it, possably swap out the dummy T case for a real T case, and throw in a D30 or D35 depending on which is cheaper/ faster. any advice or ideas are welcome.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Okay so i will be picking up an 89 B2 this wendsday hopefuly it has the 2.9 and a 5 speed. the down side is that it needs a clutch and that its 2wd. so i have a few questions.
1. where would be the best place to buy a new clutch for it?
Your local chain autoparts store or Rockauto.com (get all parts (exc. slave unless you also get the master) for a '94 4.0L V6. You will need the manual trans 4.0L starter too)
See this page
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May06/40_clutch_swap.htm
(I used a Luk "RepSet" clutch & flywheel on mine) Best thing you could ever do :icon_thumby:

2. does this year have the dummy T case in it?
I think only a rare few '90 models had an actual 2WD trans, the rest had the dummy cases.

3. is the front cross member different from the 4wd's thus making a TTB swap harder?
No, Bronco II & Explorer crossmembers are the same 2WD/4x4 (you will need to swap out one bracket however, a non-issue with a decent suspension lift, which replaces it anyway)

Hope that helps

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
do a D30 SAS swap.....take lots of pics and thoroughly explain everything you did in a build thread here on TRS.... it'll make it a lot easier for me to swap one this spring:icon_rofl::icon_thumby:

dangerrangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ebay clutch is good
and leaf spring it with a dana 30 from a yj if u have a welder and a grinder to make brakets it will flex realy good with 2wd f150 springs or rear wagoneere springs w/o the over load

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
thanks Junkie. ive been considering the D30 swap but i would run Y links with coils, hopefuly if i get some time off from work i can go to a JY and look for a 92 or newer cherokee so it doesn't have the CAD on it. then i can throw the T case from my 84 in and figure out some sort of drive shaft, the only down side is that i need it to get done fast so i can drive it insted of the 84 which is about to die.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
well i picked up the new B2 the other day and it runs rough when you first start it, kind of like its missing but then clears up after a few seconds and idles right at about 850 RPM or so. it also has a miss after i replased the plugs and wires but thats probably because i couldnt mannage to get the plug wire closest to the upper intake manafold to to clip on to the dis cap properly. so hopefuly if it doesnt snow on saturday i can drive it down to my moms house, and get some work done on it. then i can deside if i wanna Sas it before or after i Sas my 84.

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so your going to have to solid BII's?

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
well the plan for now is to get the 89 in good working order and possibly make it 4x4 so it can handle the snow as of yet im undecided on the D30 swap. then put a D44, 9", 302 or 351W, T18, and NP205 into the 84.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'd just throw the D35 in. It all pretty much bolts right up and is a stronger axle than the D30.

Sure it's not "coooll!" like a solid axle, but will work just the same if you pay attention to things like your steering linkage angle if you put a lift on it.

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
id also go with the d35 but swap in a 8.8 as well. theres not much work to it if you plan it out right and you can get it done quick. but i like the plans for the 84 cant want to see it!

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
well the 4x4 swap on the 89 will only happen if it doesnt do well in the snow, and the only real reason for a D30 swap on it would be because i havent seen any b2's with a D30 around and wanted to be differnt. plus it wont be used for more than a DD and light wheeling so the strength wouldnt be a huge issue. and a side note the build on the 84 wont be started until im out of college ( right after christmas ) and get a place where i can work on it.

jdm_farmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
An "easy" 4wd swap would be to scavenge all the parts off your 84, since you want to make it your project anyways. Like it was said earlier, your axle brackets would need to be swapped over along with your axles. The best part about going this way is its free, since you already have all the parts. It also means you don't need a custom front driveshaft for a daily driver.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
the only big problem i have with swapping in the axles from the 84 is that i only have acess to my moms garage which only has room for one truck so the other would be sitting on the drive way which has a big slope which isn't exactly my ideal place to pull axles, that and all the bushings would have to be replaced, and i cant have both of my trucks down because i only have one day off per week. ill figure it out sooner or later, plus im pretty tired of having the whole TTB set up,

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the ttb set up can be really good if done right. ive seen some real good set ups. only thing i dont like about it is the steering. either way do a build thread i'd like to see your progress when the time comes! good luck!

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
i know the TTB can be set up good if its done right but honestly i dont feel like going through the work to get it set up right, i would rather build some Y links and get some cherokee lift springs and toss a D 30 under it, just so i have some experiance for when i do the swap on the 84.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals