• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Safari Pacific MX2 Build

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
are you going to have to put in seats from like a taurus or something? (so that it slides up when someone gets into the back)
just a thought...
I don't think he is planning to use it for a seating area, if so I prob. would have put the window in and not just paint a window. it more for storage. you know for the trip around the world that he is planning and building this truck for.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like gatlin is talking about replacing the front seats with those from a car. that way the seats will slide forward and lean forward with the flick of a lever for easy access to the storage area in the extended cab.

KCBFord1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
now all you need is to mount a digital picture frame somewhere so guys out on the trail can see your build pics. lot of work! i bet you take pride driving that thing around. truly awsome!

gatlin04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like gatlin is talking about replacing the front seats with those from a car. that way the seats will slide forward and lean forward with the flick of a lever for easy access to the storage area in the extended cab.

Exactly

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
any kno if there any updates?

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
how bout BII seat bases? that way the pass side will tip right up and out of the way.
Good job on the build....I would have moved the rear axle back and not put the wheel well in the cab corner. Better depart angles. But all in all it looks awsome, better than anything i can and will ever do!

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I saw a ranger very similar to this a couple years ago. It was green though. I have a picture somewhere around here. I will see if I can get it scanned. Great work, only thing I don't like is the fuel filler. Looks wierd.

schanusa

November '08 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
thats not a bad idea, but heres what i'd do:

extend the over-cab part of it and make it a pop-up with canvas sides. pop it up at night and you have yourself a sleeping area over the cab without wasting any storage space in the "main part" of the bed. pop it down in the morning to lower your CG and reduce wind resistance.

schanusa

OTOTM Winner
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The box has a few tricks up its sleeves.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
that works too i suppose :icon_thumby:

EDIT: gonna have to ditch the light bar for that plan though..

schanusa

OTOTM Winner
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The light bar will fold down over the window. I'll have to do that to get into the cargo containers for shipping as well.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a solid plan.

have you considered upgrading your amenities? a house battery for engine-off power, fresh water supply with a hand or foot pump (and maybe a little sink), propane stove, heater?

i realize that all adds weight and complexity...but its hard to turn down those kind of "luxuries" if youve got the room.

schanusa

OTOTM Winner
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep. I'm working with a few people to build the inside with new materials that are very light yet strong. Cabinets, small sink, cook area, small desk/table, power systems w/ solar, outside shower, toilet and a lot more. Everything will have multiple functions. This project is turning more into an offroad RV. Even though the goal is to keep it light, I have to remember I will be living & working out of the truck for 2 years.

EDIT: Also, with storage area being an issue I've decided to build a new bed with additional storage in the bed sides.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i actually really like the idea of an off-road RV. my dad and i were THIS CLOSE to taking the "RV" part of a 1976 chinook motorhome (on a 2wd toyota chassis) and mounting it on an 86 4wd ranger. the chinook body was all fiberglass with a pop top (where i got the suggestion), and had a fullsize bed/couch, sink, propane range and heater, stereo, cabinets, fresh and grey water tanks, and a power inverter. it was a livable little RV. we got as far as taking all the measurments and discovering the wheelwells would line up and everything should clear...but the donor ranger started to fall apart before we started so we abandoned the idea.

speaking of fiberglass though...that might not be a bad idea for the that box as it'll save you a lot of weight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals