• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough Idle and Shake at Low RPM's

carterja1207

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an automatic 2001 Ford Ranger with 175,xxx miles. I know this has been asked plenty of times, but I feel that my case is a little different. The ever so popular rough idle with the 3.0 engine. It has been doing it for quite some time now. Also, my truck shakes when I hit 1500 RPM's. But it doesn't do it when the engine is cold. I can accelerate, decelerate a little, then accelerate again, and it shoots down to 1500 RPM's where it violently shakes the whole truck. But if I decelerate or put the pedal to the medal, it's fine. Doesn't do it at high RPM's, just the 1500-2000 range. Now here's the fun part. The first thing I did was get a tune up. Still did it. I have changed all filters including the fuel filter, and I also had a bad fuel injector. Replaced it, and nothing happened. I had a trouble code that said IAC. Replaced it, and once again no changes. Here comes my first solution. Had a compression test done, and one of my cylinders lost it. So I was told that I needed to get a new engine put in. So I did so. I got another v6 3.0 engine put in, with 114,xxx miles. The truck did have 175,xxx. And what do you know? NO CHANGES. It STILL shakes at low RPM's and STILL has a rough idle. I also replaced the transmission fluid, so that doesn't explain the low RPM shake. Can someone please, for the love of Pete tell me what's wrong with my truck. After I got the new engine put in, I checked the codes and one popped up telling me to replace my ignition coil(s). Would that explain it, or is there something i'm missing here? I've put too much time and money into this thing for it to still do this. Any solutions guys? I'm desperate. Thanks!

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, I had a 3.0 ranger (older) BUT.... chased my tail for 8 months or so on a "weird shake".... the long and short of it... replaced the coil.... runs like a dream.

I would have NOT suspected the coil until one night I happened to open the hood in the dark... the coil looked like a plasma generator, all glowing blue/white from the cracks in the insulation......

Greg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals