• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Right drum backing plate just fell apart :(

cauhcons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ok so this morning its freaking cold over here and my drum where completely frozen... i couldnt move in 2wd so i put 4 low and this time the truck move with no problem...
I thought that the ice simply brake and let the wheel spin.... but no!!!
The drum backing plate spin where the axle housing is fix on it with 4 bolts....
you can actualy see my brake line that roll on the axle housing...

Does someone already have this problem?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That really sucks!!! I haven't seen this before. I'm guessing you were in water before parking it.
Goodluck,

Richard

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Or the part got weakened by the rust.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
That's definitely a first for me. And I've pulled some rusted out trucks out from behind sheds. In fact the last one we had to completely remove (read: rip off with extreme force) the drivers rear brake drum so we could tow it home.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Yikes, thats what rust will do. I'm sure you're aware, you're going to have to pull your axle shaft out to replace that, should be a fun job I hope you have a garage to do it!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That is not a normal mode of failure for the backing plate. Usually they rust through at the pins and just let the shoes fall off.

cauhcons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
That is not a normal mode of failure for the backing plate. Usually they rust through at the pins and just let the shoes fall off.
I would prefer that mode of failure, its definitely the rust that weakened the steel... Do you think i have to replace the axle seal ? is that a good idea to change the left side backing plate at the same time, they probably rust at the same spot...

Yikes, thats what rust will do. I'm sure you're aware, you're going to have to pull your axle shaft out to replace that, should be a fun job I hope you have a garage to do it!
Usually i work in the god garage, but its to cold to work outside -25 degree Celsius...

It breaks my heart to tow my truck to a garage when i know i can do it by my own... 70$/h:annoyed:

As i never remove the axle shaft of course it would be a fun job to do, and it not seem to be very hard to do... just take time...

BTW thank you all!!! this forum is just awesome!!! :icon_hornsup:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Axle seal is a given as you'll have the shaft out ya migh as well do it anyways.

Celsius eh? Where are ya at, we may be able to find you a shop/garage to use....

cauhcons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Axle seal is a given as you'll have the shaft out ya migh as well do it anyways.

Celsius eh? Where are ya at, we may be able to find you a shop/garage to use....
I'll replace the seal i think its not very expensive...

i am in Canada Quebec city,
there is a place near that is call Garage autonome, you pay by the hours and you can rent some tools, but as i never did this job it can take a lot of time, and i dont know exactly what piece i would need,
so i would have to disassemble to look what piece am needed, and go to buy them, but the problem is that i still pay for the lift by the hours when buying my stuff... I managed all the time my reparation but some time it can took me like twice the time of an mechanic, so this place is really nice when i know exactly what am doing...

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It might be easier replacing the whole axle housing and all with a used one.
Good luck,

Richard

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
They used to make split replacement back plates. They were made in two pieces and made it possible to replace them without taking the axle apart, just cut the remains of the old one off and replace with the new one. The last time I used one was quite a few years ago so I don't know if they're still available. Try asking around at your local auto-part stores.

cauhcons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
They used to make split replacement back plates. They were made in two pieces and made it possible to replace them without taking the axle apart, just cut the remains of the old one off and replace with the new one. The last time I used one was quite a few years ago so I don't know if they're still available. Try asking around at your local auto-part stores.
i call at evrey local part store and they even dont have the standard backing plate, i call at Ford and they only have the one piece style at 71$ grrrr

do you remember where you buy the split backing plate? from what i found there is only GM that made tow pieces backing plate!!!!

Last edited:

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are there any junk yards where you pull your own parts around your location? If it wasn't so cold there I would say you should pull a backing plate from a junkyard truck. They would probably charge you next to nothing for the part and it would be a good way to familiarize yourself with the job before you tear into your own rig. Otherwise, I'm with Alwaysfloored. It could be just as easy to replace the entire axle assembly with a junkyard piece, and not much more expensive at $70 for a backing plate. The other thing is, if one backing plate has a rust issue, I would say there is a chance the other one does, and you may be able to find a better piece from a junkyard.

Larry's shee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe I'm retarded but seems as much if not more work to swap axles, cause you will still want to check brakes, maybe swap stuff if you'rs are newer/good. Plus you know history of yours. Unless you can find a real clean/nice one.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
Man that sucks! Only thing holding it in is the axle clips. That right there is something I have never seen before! Perfect example why not to set your parking brake in the winter. I did lock one up once from freezing, and did the same thing to break it loose. Ended up pulling the pads right off the shoes!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals