• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replace Distributor- is there an easy way?

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's an '87 STX, 177CI and I'm hopin' somebody can tell me the easiest way to pull the distributor. I don't have Jeannie to blink or Samantha to twitch her nose so any other suggestions are welcome. Being done in a hotel parking lot, so the less time and fewest steps required are top priority. I do have a new Cardone unit from Rock Auto that's been sittin' ready for a couple of years for just this eventuality.
Thanks in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, match the rotor

Remove cap and take a picture of the distributor so you can see where the TFI module is pointed and the Rotor, so housing orientation and shaft orientation, you can put a mark on the housing matching rotors position

Thats the timing you need to match

You can rotate the engine manually using a socket on the crank pulley to orient the rotor on old sitributor to what ever position you want, some turn it so rotor is pointed to #1 spark plug wire and crank pulley is on TDC mark, but users choice, you don't have to

When you pull out the old distributor the rotor will turn slightly because the gear drive is angled, so when you put the new one in it will rotate in opposite direction, so try not to turn the old rotor after removal and then match the new distributors rotor to its position and it will go in and turn to correct position

At the bottom of distributor shaft is the oil pump drive, this also has to seat
Once new distributor is in and rotor position matched, you may need to turn the crank 1/4 turn left and right to match oil pump drive shaft, and distributor should drop into place all the way
But it may just drop in all the way first time :)

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, match the rotor

Remove cap and take a picture of the distributor so you can see where the TFI module is pointed and the Rotor, so housing orientation and shaft orientation, you can put a mark on the housing matching rotors position

Thats the timing you need to match

You can rotate the engine manually using a socket on the crank pulley to orient the rotor on old sitributor to what ever position you want, some turn it so rotor is pointed to #1 spark plug wire and crank pulley is on TDC mark, but users choice, you don't have to

When you pull out the old distributor the rotor will turn slightly because the gear drive is angled, so when you put the new one in it will rotate in opposite direction, so try not to turn the old rotor after removal and then match the new distributors rotor to its position and it will go in and turn to correct position

At the bottom of distributor shaft is the oil pump drive, this also has to seat
Once new distributor is in and rotor position matched, you may need to turn the crank 1/4 turn left and right to match oil pump drive shaft, and distributor should drop into place all the way
But it may just drop in all the way first time :)
Thanks, Ron. The timing issues are something with which I'm intimately familiar, but the only experience I've had with R/R from an engine has been with FE and 302. Very cognizant of issues with the shaft for the OP as we had to retrieve one from the oil pan in my '65 F100.
I'm kinda hopin' to pull the disty without removin' the plenum. Any secret tips? Stick tongue outta left side of mouth while crossin' eyes?
I already know all the magic mechanics' words for use when droppin' sockets and wrench slippin' off bolt while skinnin' knuckles. Just don't seem to be much room next to that firewall.:censored:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Removing upper intake will give you more room to work
Just 6 nuts if I remember correctly, be sure to put rags in the lower intake holes if you do this, dropping something in the lower intake will ruin your whole day :(
And 3 connectors
TPS, IAT and IAC
Throttle cable can stay attached if you want, just move upper intake to drivers side
I have never replace that gasket unless it was torn

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Okay. Gonna start on this Monday morning.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just an update. Disty came out and went back in reasonably easily. Only removed cap & rotor and snaked the distributor over, under, around and through the available space.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm a little late to the party but as you discovered it's doable with the upper intake in place, just tight!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals