• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Remote mount TFI

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i read the articles about this in the library, it said something about having 3 wires coming out of the TFI when i took mine off there was only one connected to the prongs, im not talking about the connector but the other prongs with the little wires attached cant explain it very well, anyways im getting a new one today and im going to remote mount it, will a heat sink from a old computer work? any experience youve had doing this would be great, thanks.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
I'm considering a remote mount and I've got heatsinks a plenty as well.

Post up a wiring diagram if you have one or at least the year and motor in your Ranger.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i've achieved some progress on the B2 today i got the tfi connected to some heat sinks and used speaker wire to extend the wires from the distributor to reach the tfi in its new location, stil no spark :( idk what to do but for today im pissed and aggravated and done not gonna go near that stupid thing for another day at least its pissed me off so much.

v8nick

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It could be that the pickup coil in the distributor has gone out.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It could be that the pickup coil in the distributor has gone out.
When i took the distributor off a bunch of plasticy rubbery chunks fell out dont know if that would have anything to do with it or not but it definitely seems like a problem, whats this mean the cap and rotor are pretty much brand new maybe 1k miles on them or so also on the tabs ( i got that from the book) on the distributor there was a bunch of rubber that looks like its been melted and remelted a lot doesnt seem too healthy it seems like when the distributor spins it was hitting the rubber and eventually it got hot and melted onto the tabs.

v8nick

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would just get a new distributor. You can replace the pickup coil, but if you have a lot of miles on the motor, chances are the bearings are wore out in the distributor anyway.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would just get a new distributor. You can replace the pickup coil, but if you have a lot of miles on the motor, chances are the bearings are wore out in the distributor anyway.
Well i cant just keep buying things for my rig i bought the TFI and it didn't fix my problem, how can i guarantee what my problem is now i cant just guess and check i need tests that i can do things like that that will tell me exactly the source of no spark.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Do you have a test light? Hook it between battery + and coil - and crank the engine. See if the light flashes. Then check the first two pins to the TFI for power. One is hot in start, one is hot in run.

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure you have a good ground from the heat sink to ground. When I mounted the TFI to the radiator support I thought hook it up and make sure it runs before bolting it down. Did not have spark till I bolted the thing to the radiator support.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a test light? Hook it between battery + and coil - and crank the engine. See if the light flashes. Then check the first two pins to the TFI for power. One is hot in start, one is hot in run.
Unfortunately i have no test light :(
Make sure you have a good ground from the heat sink to ground. When I mounted the TFI to the radiator support I thought hook it up and make sure it runs before bolting it down. Did not have spark till I bolted the thing to the radiator support.
Thanks for the advice ill try that tomorrow didnt even think about that!

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok little bit of an update even after grounding it the TFI did not solve my problem, at this point im going to try to find someone with a ranger at my school and see if i can use their coil to test mine real quick, i think thats kind of lame how the only way to test a coil is to get a coil you know that works as it sais in the book..... If i cant find anybody i might just go to the auto parts store buy one and return it if it doesnt solve my problem.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another update, the coil was definitely not good i think it was probaly still working but the resistance was completely wrong measure something like .1423 if i remember correctly, got a new one measures around .85 that coil was probaly ready to give out so i got a new one, so after breaking off several of the teeth on my distributor gear trying to get it off i ordered a new one and am going to get it today, wish me luck with the new distributor i hope it solves my problem. Also im probaly going to have to retune i would think with my new TFI, hope that isnt too much of a PITA might be back for help on that one :D. Also, if i mount the tfi on the distributor how long will it last generally? Fortunately its winter now so my engine shouldnt get too hot.Edit: didnt meant to say winter, as far as im concerned there really should be only two seasons; hot and cold.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals