• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Regular 4x4 or off road package (FX4)

Wittlewedwanger

Reaction score
My offloading experience tells me that I don't need the stock top model because I'm going to be replacing those parts either way. For example if I have (Chevy example is all I can think of right now) a Silverado 4x4 or a Z71 off road package with better Springs, maybe limited slip vs just 4x4 open diffs ect... Then when I lift the truck go with deavers and add lockers then that off-road package didn't even matter.

So my question I'm new to Rangers but I'd like to build me a decent mid size moderate trail rig. So is there any benefit to buying an FX4 or would I be just fine with the regular 4x4 seeing as how upgrades in susp, gears, shocks, travel, ground clearance, approach /departure angles, ect.. Are to come?

What was different about the FX4 vs the regular 4x4? More stock power? Different motor? Ground clearance? Styling only? Limited slip?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only real advantages for you would be the neater interior and that it comes with a 31 spline 8.8 vs the normal Ranger 28 spline 8.8 (if you stick with the 4.0)

The Torson limited slip will mess up hopes of a lunchbox but if you go for a full carrier locker it is worth more to resell.

Wittlewedwanger

Reaction score
Yeah the 31 spline was big in my mind I don't know why it didn't come out as I was typing my message.

Interior on a rugged vehicle I was never to concerned about looks and long as it's in good condition. I'm sure I'd add a Detroit one day, I spose you could through in the 31 spline into the regular 4x4.

My whole real goal here is simple looks and cost. I've never been a fan of over styled vehicles. Keep my rig looking simple and functional. Not a big fan of the hood and grill on the FX4

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the 31 spline was big in my mind I don't know why it didn't come out as I was typing my message.

Interior on a rugged vehicle I was never to concerned about looks and long as it's in good condition. I'm sure I'd add a Detroit one day, I spose you could through in the 31 spline into the regular 4x4.

My whole real goal here is simple looks and cost. I've never been a fan of over styled vehicles. Keep my rig looking simple and functional. Not a big fan of the hood and grill on the FX4
A 100 dollar bill got me a 31 spline out of an Explorer with disc brakes (and he threw in the springs too) It took a little welding but install wasn't too bad.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The standard FX4, other than 2002, does not come with the 31 spline rear axle and the Torsen differential as standard equipment. I am not sure if they are available as optional equipment.

I am not aware of the FX4 having a different hood and grill unless this happened on later models. The 4.0 engine can come with a different hood (power dome) but I don't know about the grill.

If you are going to building an off-road truck, you would most likely save yourself some money on the original purchase of the truck by just going with a 4WD that is not a special model. Then again, if you come across a good deal on a special model 4WD, you should not be losing anything by getting it.

Wittlewedwanger

Reaction score
Ok thanks gw33gp. I am new to Rangers and I know all about forums. That's why I am doing this way before I pick up the Ranger I will build. My knowledge is in Broncos former fullsizebronco.com member. So really I need to learn my models and features then. I mean I pretty much know what's mods the different models are most likely gonna have. So then my question is what models have what including engine, tranny, limited slip gears, axels, T-case, body styling, ect ect. I know the last two gens lasted many years so did they do a facelift at a certain year? And if this is already a listed topic somewhere or a sticky, or just topic that's always been brought up by noobs not doing thier research before sounding ignorant on a forum and I am that guy then by all means point me in the right direction for the old thread or just tell me to go research first then I will. But i did check Wikipedia first, they are usually real spot on with vehicles but I didn't see much of a page at all for the Ranger.

Btw I agree with what you said at the end that's kinda what I was getting at the whole time. And yeah if I get a steal on an upgraded off road model I wouldn't pass it up

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals