• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Sway Bar Question

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I have a 5/8-inch rear sway bar on my 93 Ranger. The other day I saw a listing for a rear sway bar so I contacted the seller. He stated it was a 3/4-inch. I cannot find proof that Ranger had a 3/4-inch rear bar.

Did Ranger ever use a 3/4-inch sway bar?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Might be an aftermarket bar. I have a Hellwig on mine. Hellwigs are the biggest solid anti-sway bars made. Hotchkiss make larger diameter bars, but they are hollow. A solid bar works much better than a hollow one. I'll go measure mine later, see what size it is. It appears to be around 3/4 though, It's pretty big.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160331085320/http://timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/anti_sways.htm

Even at stock height, my Ranger is great to throw around a curvy road. Much better than it ever was without a rear bar.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for your response. My Ranger was not originally equipped with a rear sway bar. So I can tell you it made a difference. The sway bar and link end bushings are all Energy Suspension high durometer polyurethane bushings. But if I could tighten it up a little more........

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Rangers that came with these from Ford are 3/4". The b2's had a 1" bar, and I believe the explorers also had the 1". Years ago I installed one from a 93 onto my 94, and it's a 3/4" bar.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Rangers that came with these from Ford are 3/4". The b2's had a 1" bar, and I believe the explorers also had the 1". Years ago I installed one from a 93 onto my 94, and it's a 3/4" bar.
Sir, I appreciate your response. The suspension components on my 93 came off a 94 Ford Ranger with spring code KK. I looked up my old receipts from back then and the bushings I ordered are 4.5115 and 4.5116.
The 4.5116 is for a 5/8-inch bar https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.5116

Please double check the info here https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ford_ranger_sway_bar_options.shtml

The first and second image in the rear sway bar section is my truck when the bar was being installed

I'll call Energy Suspension tomorrow because I would rather have a slightly larger bar

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Interesting, the one I remove from that 93 is 3/4", as I took the front one also to put both on my 94. Went to measure it and it is the size that I mentioned. It is in fact an oem bar. Mistakes do happen on the assembly line. For example my ranger is a 3.0, yet it came from the factory with a 4.0 tach 5000 redline instead of being a 5500 redline. Never bothered to change it out. Last year I needed to change out the end links from the bushings falling apart. Went to the yard and found a good pair from a 97 ranger.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
2wd bronco 2 had 1" rear bars. Both my 2011 and 1988 have them.

Get the 276mm rear links for added roll control.

Otherwise, eibach/hellwig.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Interesting, the one I remove from that 93 is 3/4", as I took the front one also to put both on my 94. Went to measure it and it is the size that I mentioned. It is in fact an oem bar. Mistakes do happen on the assembly line. For example my ranger is a 3.0, yet it came from the factory with a 4.0 tach 5000 redline instead of being a 5500 redline. Never bothered to change it out. Last year I needed to change out the end links from the bushings falling apart. Went to the yard and found a good pair from a 97 ranger.
I remember having to call Energy Suspension to get the right bushing set. They said with Ranger there was multiple options, that's why the catalog said call. Any way thanks. now I know a 3/4-inch bar exists. And he only wants $30 for it

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Thank you for your response. My Ranger was not originally equipped with a rear sway bar. So I can tell you it made a difference. The sway bar and link end bushings are all Energy Suspension high durometer polyurethane bushings. But if I could tighten it up a little more........
Are you referring to the rear handling when you say "tighten it up a little more"? If you install a stiffer anti-sway bar in the rear you will most likely end up less tight (more over steer). The general rule in racing is soft is more grip and firm is less. Of course, that is in reference to balancing the handling of a vehicle.

Front wheel drive cars typically under steer through corners. They solve that by putting a very stiff anti-sway bar on the rear so the rear will kick out a little (loose) to allow them to rotate the car easier. Handling dynamic of vehicles are complex and stiffening the rear on a truck may do what you want it to but that goes against the general rule.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals