• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear sliding window leak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey yall
1999 ford ranger xlt 4.0 4x4

Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. My back sliding window is leaking and am looking for where I could purchase new seals/gaskets. It’s not leaking from the fixed windows and is definitely from around the sliding window. But it leaks like crazy when it rains. I just have it duct taped for now and want to make sure to remove it soon so it doesn’t ruin the paint. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Are you talking about the seals around the sliding windows themselves or around the whole assembly? The whole window assembly is bolted in and has some butyl rope sealing it to the cab, the sliding part of the window just has some seals to try to keep most of the water out but relies heavily on the drains in the bottom of the window track to work to keep the rest out If you look on the outside of the window there will be some cutouts on the bottom side of the window frame to drain water, if there's moss in there it will leak. I don't think there are reseal kits for the sliding part of the windows but replacement windows are available...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It’s leaking at the bottom of the track for the sliding window, at least that’s where it’s pooling up and then coming inside the cab down the back wall and settling in the back of the cab under the carpet. I’ll check and see if the drain is clogged but I’m not locating where the drain actually is.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
There are a couple body dimples that come up to the window...

Drains are in the dimples if I remember correctly

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, I was way off, the newer windows are different than the older ones, I went out and consulted my slider I'll put in my '97 once I get there... there's still two drains but they're in odd places, I would chase them with weedeater line or something. The drivers side one is pretty straight but the passenger side one is far from... I was able to push a 8" zip tie through the drivers side one easy but couldn't get it through the passenger side...

20240406_192126.jpg

20240406_192135.jpg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome. Thanks so much !!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals