• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger a4l4 behind 3.0 slow reverse + hard 1-2

mnemonic76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, this is my first post on TRS and I love this site, but I'm not finding all the info I am looking for. The slow reverse engagement and clunk seem to be fixed by the transgo a4ld-jr kit, but that kit doesn't mention the hard 1st to 2nd shift I am experiencing. It goes 1-2 hard MOST times (like at least 9 out of 10 times) but occasionally shifts smooth. The fluid is fine, and the filter was replaced recently... the trannie has about 150k it's a 92 XLT. Looks like there's some kind of leak in the driveway... but it's hard to tell where from cause my driveway is steep, so it looks like it's coming out the rear of the trans. Any advice on what to do while I have it apart for the transgo a4ld-jr kit install?

thanks,
mnemonic76

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
While you're putting in the kit, just check to see if you have any leaks. Check your cooler lines, servo cover, tailshaft seal etc. A soft engagement can come from low fluid level. I would also look up the procedure for adjusting the bands in the transmission and follow it TO THE LETTER. I won't get into all the A4LD mudslinging but there are those here that would tell you to just dump that trans and put in a Mazda M5OD-R1 5 speed...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals