• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) randomly don't start

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
i swear i can't catch a break with my little blue truck. its new problem is driving us crazy again. randomly it acts like the battery is dead and won't do anything, won't turn over no lights come on the dash no nothing. thought it may be a bad battery had it checked its good. it start good for a few days and did it again. starts right up with a jumper cables or jump box. changed the battery cable ends worked for a week then did it again the same thing. my son checked its body grounds and reground it. another week and it did it again same thing so my son checked its grounds again and this time double grounded it to the body. it was good for about two month then today it did it again and stranded my husband at the store while i was at work. i got ahold of my son to go jump it but this time he had a hell of a time to get it to start. the positive cable was loose so he tighten it back up the lights came on in the dash the buzzer and so on was on hit the key and it clicked once then nothing again. he kept messing the cables on the battery and jumper cables til it finelly turned over very slowly a couple time and it started. drive it home about 5 miles. shut it off tried to restart it and one click then nothing. so now whats wrong with this truck?????????????

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On a 1998 Ranger there is a MEGA FUSE on the outside of the engine fuse box, it has 2 terminals, and that's where your issue is
ALL 12volt power for the vehicle runs thru those 2 terminals, when engine is OFF(alternator powers the vehicle when engine is on, not the battery)

Starter motor has the larger Positive battery cable, because it needs 50-75amps all at once
But the smaller Positive wire runs to the MEGA FUSE terminal, and that 12volts is what is used to activate the starter motor, so if these 2 terminals are dirty, no 12volts to any part of the vehicle

Unhook, battery Negative terminal first, so no shorts
Clean BOTH MEGA FUSE terminals, one at a time, so you don't mix up any wires
Clean and tighten both battery cables
You will be good to go after that

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your description plus this

starts right up with a jumper cables or jump box
Tells me one or both of your battery/clamp connections is loose or dirty.

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
On a 1998 Ranger there is a MEGA FUSE on the outside of the engine fuse box, it has 2 terminals, and that's where your issue is
ALL 12volt power for the vehicle runs thru those 2 terminals, when engine is OFF(alternator powers the vehicle when engine is on, not the battery)

Starter motor has the larger Positive battery cable, because it needs 50-75amps all at once
But the smaller Positive wire runs to the MEGA FUSE terminal, and that 12volts is what is used to activate the starter motor, so if these 2 terminals are dirty, no 12volts to any part of the vehicle

Unhook, battery Negative terminal first, so no shorts
Clean BOTH MEGA FUSE terminals, one at a time, so you don't mix up any wires
Clean and tighten both battery cables
You will be good to go after that
thank you i will show my son what you said and have him do that . fingers and toes crossed it sloves the probem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals