• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pushrod/Rocker woes

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It's time for me to get new pushrods/rockers. Last time I had it apart they had some pretty good play in them.

Unfortunately, I can't get aftermarket hardened pushrods. DeltaCams says they're backordered and don't know when they'll be in and TomMoranaMotorsports says they have to order them and they're over a week out for stock length. I'd really like to find some hardened pushrods in a stock length.

Has anyone else had this problem lately? I'm kind of irritated with Delta due to this "backorder". They couldn't give me a straight answer as to when they would EVER be available again.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
4.0 push rods and rockers...pure rubbish. I just put factory junk back in mine. Hope to start it for the first time some day this week.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You could always try Smith Brothers. They might have something for you.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Ah gee whiz, is this another thing to worry about with the 4.0? Is it due to a crummy push rod design getting pounded? I know very little about the 4.0 in the Rat. It runs OK , so I'm not messing with it until I have cause to. I just put oil and filters in it. The belt was fresh and the plugs are burning just right. But I come here and all I hear about is cracked heads and leaky intake gaskets and now crumbly push rods. The 5 digit odometer is about 30,000. How much longer do I have until the 4.0 breaks? :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ah gee whiz, is this another thing to worry about with the 4.0? Is it due to a crummy push rod design getting pounded?
It's not a fatal flaw, just annoying.

The rod ends don't get oiled quite right because of the shape of the hole that feeds them and the end of the rods gall. This produces a tick similar to the 2.9 lifter tick, but unlike the lifter tick it is NOT fatal, merely annoying. The 2.9 lifter tick will always, eventually, be fatal.

The quick fix for this noise is to flip the rods over putting the galled end in constant contact with the lifter, and this making it shut up for a while.

The permanent fix is hardened rods that won't gall.

It has been speculated that boring out and chamfering the oiling holes in the rockers would allow better oil flow to the rods and preventing the problem in the first place but to my knowledge this has not been tested. I'm thinking about trying this one myself when I start to build my 4.0 here in April.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You could always try Smith Brothers. They might have something for you.
Thanks for the heads up bro! Talked to a guy names Pier (I know...) and he hooked me up with a set of HD wall chromoly rods with 3/16" hardened balls for $157 Custom made to my application. They're going to be done the same day as I order them :yahoo:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have a set. PM sent.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals