• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pushbutton 4wd backlighting

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I took physical measurements and this bulb is 5/32" wide, 3/8" tall. The pins are exactly 1/8" apart (outside to outside). I put a voltmeter on the bulb socket on the 4x4 switch and it registers about 12.5v when the truck is running. So the bulb I'm looking for is a T1.25 bulb with a 5/32" or 4MM diameter, 3/8" or ~10mm bulb height, with a wire terminal base and operates at 12v.

This looks like exactly what I need: http://www.bulbtronics.com/Search-The-WareHouse/ProductDetail.aspx?sid=0012130&pid=OL4031
Or this would probably work too: http://www.bulbtronics.com/Search-The-WareHouse/ProductDetail.aspx?sid=0031630&pid=SUDW44

But since I'm obsessing about this and don't want to wait for shipping, I made one more stop to my local Subaru dealership based on a suggestion from one of the Ford guys. It was a long shot but it paid off! For about $7 I picked up part number 85066GA170, which is a bulb and socket combo. here is a picture of it (black) side by side with the stock ford bulb base (white):

You'll notice they are nearly identical. I did have to use an exacto-knife and trim part of the bulb base to get it to fit (circled in red). When you compare it with the white ford bulb base it is just slightly too small to rotate over the circuit board when you insert it into the 4x4 switch. About 30 seconds of very light trimming, then put the green "condom" on the new bulb, plug it in, and your done!

For $7 I have a backlit 4x4 switch again.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals