• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pushbutton 4wd backlighting

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know if the 4x4 pushbutton switch in pre-95 rangers was ever meant to be backlit?

Lots of driving at night during the winter time and I have to feel for the button, just curious if I just need to replace the bulb or get creative :)

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes I have a 1993 and its lit, It has two led.s one behind each button if your aint lit someone messed with the button and moved the led.s Just pull the dash out remove the button assembly and realign the led's. If htey dont work they may be burnt out which led's are cheap to replace, jsut a pita to solder.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So you're buttons light up green when you turn on the headlights?

I'm not talking about the orange lights next to the buttons, those work fine on my truck. I'm looking to light the buttons themselves.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
OH no mine light up orange when activated If you want them green get your self one of them green led sets and wire it up to your dashlight panel, even then the button might not be se through so you might need to razor knife it or somehting.

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The lettering on the push buttons are supposed to light up green when the headlights are turned on. I believe, if I remember correctly, there is a 194 bulb in the assembly. Just pull two screws at the ashtray and yank your bezel off. Next, unplug the 4x4 switch. Then you can pop it out by depressing the two tabs on the sides that hold it in the bezel. You'll find your treasure in there..

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
on my 93 they dont light up green nor do they have a place for bulbs, but then again my hvac controls dont light up at all either.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the bulb that lights the buttons is a small bulb that has just the wires coming out of it. you bend them around the clip that holds it in.
first pic is the bulb next to a penny

the yellow circles are around the lights for the switch. two on the left are red leds for the indicator. right circle is the bulb to illuminate the buttons themselves

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
good to know, mine is burnt out then.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well I'll be danged, looks like I'll be pulling apart my switch, thanks for the pics!!!!!

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i took a blue sharpie to the bulb and the leds in the switch too. the bulb shines with a light blue marble effect. i havent tried the 4wd since so i dont know how the red leds look covered in blue yet but i'll add some pics when its dark

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
this isnt the best pic but dont bother trying to cover the red leds. the blue is real light but better than green, but the red clearly stayed red. the blue really only showed further away from the bulb. directly over the bulb stayed white

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've got the bulb out, noticed it has a green "condom" on it that obviously changes the light to the green color.

Now the problem I have is that I cannot find a replacement bulb ANYWHERE. None of the local parts stores, Ford dealership, even radio shack doesnt have one.

Ronv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers S
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Personally I would look for an "led" replacement. Electronic suppliers such as Allied & Newark have them but I am sure you can get them cheaper on e-bay. Good LUCK

RonV :) :) :)

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm learning: looks like I'm looking for a bi-pin base, probably a (EDIT: wrong) bulb size... I need to take another measurement of the burnt out bulb I have when I get back home. I think I'm going to have to put the voltmeter on this thing too so I can verify if I need a 12v bulb, or something else.

I'm all for going LED, but it looks like the way this bulb enters behind the pushbutton that illumination of the switch relies on light directed in a wide beam pattern from the bulb. LED's have a very narrow beam, which means it might only light up the 4 in 4x4 for example.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals