• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Push starting auto tranny?

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
I was watching Ultimate Car Build-Off, and they made hill climbing Hearses. The first one's starter burnt up, so they towed it behind their truck for a while, and got it to start, even though it had an automatic transmission., but they mentioned the Torque Converter making it happen. Has anyone ever done this, or know how it works?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
the only way i've heard of it being done is with a transmission equipped with a rear pump that is driven by the driveshaft.. providing pressure for the gears to lock in and drive the engine.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I have never heard of it working, but cannot see why not =P

Wait:
I just remembered that I have had an engine do this, you had to in order to start it, of course, its my design of a "cut-out" engine, you walk it forward to get the piston moving, and it always runs at full speed, BUT you can control your acceleration using a "cut-out" that grounds the spark plug to stop acceleration. I did this with a lawn mower engine, burned it up after 4 or 5 starts though.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The early C-4 transmissions also had the rear pump allowing them to be push started. Dropped the rear pump in late '60's (?).
Dave

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did they use that in the c4s too?i remember the fordomatic 2speeds from the early 60s had it(played a lot with early falcons;60-63 in my younger days)and it was handy to have as i could rarely afford a good starter or battery at the time.push started those things all the time.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Was there not also some of the very early 2 speed power glides that a rear pump as well?

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The auto behind the 4.0 push starts just fine. Have to be doing about 40 though. I was coasting down a mountain with a dead engine and noticed I had power steering and power brakes... I had left it in drive and it was turning the engine. Shift to neutral, all went away.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The auto behind the 4.0 push starts just fine. Have to be doing about 40 though. I was coasting down a mountain with a dead engine and noticed I had power steering and power brakes... I had left it in drive and it was turning the engine. Shift to neutral, all went away.
im not sure this is a good way to prove this.. at 40mph you wouldn't be able to notice steering assist.. and the brakes have a reserve of vacuum for power brakes.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Youd be able to notice power steering for sure.

One time my truck died on me going downhill and I didnt know it (dont ask...lol) theres a turn at the bottom and I tried to turn and couldn't make it. The thing is VERY difficult to turn at only 25mph without power steering. Was lucky that there was a little gravel area in the spot my truck ended up going to, was able to stop safely thanks to the vacuum reserve.

Never happened again since then though, used to do it to my step-dad all the time when he owned it :icon_confused:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

One time my truck died on me going downhill and I didnt know it (dont ask...lol) theres a turn at the bottom and I tried to turn and couldn't make it. The thing is VERY difficult to turn at only 25mph without power steering. Was lucky that there was a little gravel area in the spot my truck ended up going to, was able to stop safely thanks to the vacuum reserve.

Never happened again since then though, used to do it to my step-dad all the time when he owned it :icon_confused:
yeah mine used to do that too, until i cleaned the water out of the EGR hoses. i got the idea from a ford TSB

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah mine used to do that too, until i cleaned the water out of the EGR hoses. i got the idea from a ford TSB
Thats interesting, did it only happen if it had literally just been cold started and then subsequently gone downhill less than a minute afterwards? Thats the only time mine would ever do it, and even then, in the 6 years I've owned this truck, its only done it the one time and that was 5 years ago.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
it would usually do it after decell in gear while city driving, it would die almost at every stop unless i gave it a quick rap on the pedal.

i took the egr vacuum lines off and they were very wet inside so i blew them out and then popped the filter out of the EGR solenoid and replaced it with an ear plug, never gave me a problem since.. i also used to have EGR codes until i did this

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Mine was different, it'd do it at any throttle position, while going downhill, if the motor was bone cold. Almost like it quit getting fuel for no apparent reason. It'd start right back up no problem. Matter of fact the only other time I saw it happen, my step-dad just put it in neutral, and restarted the motor while the truck was still moving downhill, and kept going like nothing happened, haha!

It drove my step-dad nuts, and subsequently the Ford Dealer since at the time it was still under warranty. They never did figure it out, lol. Oh well, its only done it to me the one time several years ago.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

:icon_confused: Once you're moving power steering doesn't matter... My first Ranger didn't come with power steering and the only problem was trying to turn the wheels without moving... Once you were moving, even a little bit, you could turn just fine...

I know the auto tranny behind the OM617 in the diesel Mercedes have a rear pump... Kind of kills the only real advantage of a manual transmission off road...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals