• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pullin the 2.9

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
had an exsaust leak out of my passenger side exsaust manifold..went to take the bolts out and they all snapped off!must have got to hott!..anyhow got my manifold off and have no room to drill and easy out so..im pulling it and puttin in a new clutch,high volume oil pump,new oil pan,valve cover and manifold gaskets..any other suggestions other than putting a 4.0 in!lol..4.0 is a want in the future but dont have the funds for that now figure i will try to get all i can out of my 2.9l..yhis is in the wrong forum..i want it in with the 2.9l forums how do i change this?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To move the thread, if no one has replied you can delete your post and consequently the thread and then open a new one.

Now that I have replied, message a mod (someone with a red user name) and ask to have it moved.

Pulling a 2.9 out is easy. Putting is back in is hard.

Undo the y-pipe, undo the mounts. Unplug the computer and inertia switch, feed those two connectors through the firewall, unplug the 6 or 7 along the driver's side, unbolt trans, unhook fuel lines, take out radiator, yank.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For what it's worth.... I drilled the exhaust bolts and simply used a bolt and nut on the ones that broke off on me...

Greg

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i had several manifold bolts break on me when i pulled my 2.9. i think 5 on one side and 1 on the other. i drilled them out and retapped the holes, it was really easy.

Canndspam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I had 4 of 6 on one exhaust mani shear off and so decided to not pull the other side off the head as there werent any leaks. I also just drilled and tapped them. I'm less of a fan of easy outs cuz if they snap off in there then you have a nice hard piece of tool steel to try and drill through.

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yah now im thinking about taking my passeger side fender well out to get to them to drill out and get back on the road.. kinda glad im not the only one to have this problem..i think ppl heard me yelling 1/2 mile dwn the road!

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did any of u drill them out with the motor in the truck..i took the fender well out and still dont really have enough room..im going to find some stubby drill bits and then im hoping that will create enough room??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals