• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pros/Cons of 3.0 Vulcan V6

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've had three of the four V6 engines that the Ranger came with.

My '85 had the 2.8, with a 5 speed manual behind it. It had power when I needed it, and it could climb steep hills in third gear at 60mph.

My 1990 had the 2.9 with a 4 speed automatic. It felt absolutely gutless. It took forever to get up to highway speed from a standing stop, and the one time I tried to take it up a steep hill, it struggled all the way up.

My 1991 had the 3.0 (the engine you're asking about) with a 5 speed manual. It had power to spare, and could also climb hills at 60mph in third gear.

For the record, a 1990 Ford Ranger Supercab and a 1990 Ford Taurus wagon are approximately the same weight. I bring that up because I had one, and climbed the same hill with it as I had climbed with the '91 Ranger. The Taurus had no problem climbing that hill at 60mph, with an automatic.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
3.0 is... Well. It's a taurus engine. What you see is what you get.
And I had a Taurus (wagon) with that engine and an automatic. The 3.0 is every bit as capable in a Ranger Supercab as it is in a Taurus. They weigh about the same.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Proper Gearing for a 3.0 is a must. I have 3.45's in my 3.0 ranger and while highway I get great gas mileage running between 2500 and 2700 rpm @ 65mph this also is under the power range of this motor. I live in a valley surrounded by mountains and constantly am shifting between gears to be able to pull them. A real pain so 4.10's are a good starting point in areas like ours.
PUH! You're SUPPOSED to shift down to climb hills. Most steep hills I was down in third gear (and I hit third to pass, too!), going up (and down). If I lived in really hilly country, and didn't want to be shifting all the time, I'd buy an automatic, and let it do all the shifting for me. But since I don't mind having to shift (and maybe constantly shift), my transmission of choice is a manual, if I can get one.

Ranger_XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I had a 93 taurus sedan with the 3.0 and in that chassis it was a great fit, plenty of power, 28 mpg highway. Never tried pulling a trailer with it but it was a good car. only issue I ever had is that the drive gear for the. distributor wore the teeth down to the point that 2 were gone completely and engine quit running. put a new gear on and it was back in business.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
PUH! You're SUPPOSED to shift down to climb hills. Most steep hills I was down in third gear (and I hit third to pass, too!), going up (and down). If I lived in really hilly country, and didn't want to be shifting all the time, I'd buy an automatic, and let it do all the shifting for me. But since I don't mind having to shift (and maybe constantly shift), my transmission of choice is a manual, if I can get one.
I've been driving a standard since 16 yrs old, over 26 years now, so I am aware of the need to shift to stay in the power range of the motor. This is a normal thing but being geared properly will reduce the need to constantly shift between 3rd and 4th gear while climbing steeper hills and curves.

3.45 gears are the highway gears ford used in the 3rd gen to gain gas mileage and ment more for flat landers than mountainous areas. Because of them being a tall gear towing and pulling power is severely reduced. Now add in a motor that doesnt really start to develop power till 2500 to 2700 rpms (I can literally feel me be pushed back in the seat as the engine hits these rpms versus lower rpms almost like a switch being flipped when the motor gets to its power range) gets you a screaming engine with very little nut to pull or tow. This is where the 4.10's become useful to have the power at the normal road speeds. I've been looking for an axle with the F7 or R7, 7.5- 4.10- LS / 8.8- 4.10- LS, code for mine to get the rpms up at normal road speeds to put the power in to a more usable range and not get a speeding ticket or running 3800+ rpms up the mountains.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My first new truck was an 04 Ranger. I worked at a Ford dealer for 42 years and I've never liked the 4.0 sohc because it's such an over complicated design, it looks like someone gave Rube Goldberg 10' of timing chain and told him he had to use it all. I drove a new regular cab, short box 4x4 with a 3.0,a 5 speed and 4.10 gears during lunch one day, thinking the 4.10's would make it tolerable. I headed up the ramp onto the interstate and crested the hill doing about 60 when I shifted into 5th. I immediately shifted back to 4th,headed back to the shop and ordered my Ranger with the SOHC. The 86 3.0 Taurus' had huge numbers of piston slap problems and we changed a lot of engines until they upgraded the pistons. Then the 87's started rolling in with broken off shore head bolts. Once that was fixed the worst problem we had was with the syncronizers which was inexpensive and quick to replace. The 3.0 is a good engine- for a passenger car or a 2wd that doesn't haul heavy loads or drive in hilly terrain. The guy who posted that his 2.9 Ranger wouldn't climb a hill probably had 3.45 gears, from my experience a 2.9 has a lot more low end torque than a 3.0 but they're both good engines. If the 3.0 has enough power to satisfy you, buy it and keep up with the maintenance.

Zachsdad69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Transmission
Automatic
Got a question with this forum, truck lifted to max with keys. Tires on it are 31-10.5-15 , 3.0 L automatic. Any suggestions?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The one 2.9 that was at first horribly gutless was in a BII with an auto and 3.73. Ran a lot better after a proper full tune-up but my 3.0 Ranger extended cab with a manual and 3.73 gears would spank it both for speed and hauling but both were acceptable.

My first 2.9 isn’t worth comparing to anything, it swallowed a valve not long after I put it on the road.

My second 2.9 was in my choptop and it had a particular affinity to destroying heads. Ran great when it ran, but I went through 5 or 6 heads before I gave up and yanked it. Even a 180* t-stat and 4.0 rad didn’t save it. I put a 2.9 in that came from a wrecked first gen BII that took a pine tree to the grill so hard it pushed the engine off the mounts. With 4.10 gears and a manual trans on 33’s it was a beast. Best running one I ever had. When I went to 35’s it would pull hard until 4th gear then literally fall flat on its face. You couldn’t use 4th unless you were downhill or on the flat. An OHV 4.0 fixed that problem.

My current Ranger has the OHV 4.0 with an auto and 4.10s and it’s a dog. I think my 3.0 performed just as good if not better. My dad has the identical truck but a year older and about 50k more miles and it pulls harder. No matter though, it’s slated for a 5.0 hopefully this year.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My first new truck was an 04 Ranger. I worked at a Ford dealer for 42 years and I've never liked the 4.0 sohc because it's such an over complicated design, it looks like someone gave Rube Goldberg 10' of timing chain and told him he had to use it all. I drove a new regular cab, short box 4x4 with a 3.0,a 5 speed and 4.10 gears during lunch one day, thinking the 4.10's would make it tolerable. I headed up the ramp onto the interstate and crested the hill doing about 60 when I shifted into 5th. I immediately shifted back to 4th,headed back to the shop and ordered my Ranger with the SOHC. The 86 3.0 Taurus' had huge numbers of piston slap problems and we changed a lot of engines until they upgraded the pistons. Then the 87's started rolling in with broken off shore head bolts. Once that was fixed the worst problem we had was with the syncronizers which was inexpensive and quick to replace. The 3.0 is a good engine- for a passenger car or a 2wd that doesn't haul heavy loads or drive in hilly terrain. The guy who posted that his 2.9 Ranger wouldn't climb a hill probably had 3.45 gears, from my experience a 2.9 has a lot more low end torque than a 3.0 but they're both good engines. If the 3.0 has enough power to satisfy you, buy it and keep up with the maintenance.
My 2.9 has a 3.45 and its got plenty of torque...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Got a question with this forum, truck lifted to max with keys. Tires on it are 31-10.5-15 , 3.0 L automatic. Any suggestions?
Suggestions for what? :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals