• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Rat

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I know I posted this in another section, mainly by accident, when I thought it was going here. I've been quite busy with random projects, parties, concerts, random work, and now a new project that I just started with my PT cruiser, I shall call this project Project Rat.

Project rat is about getting out of the normal swing of things in Calgary. Everyone has their cars riced out, their trucks either jacked up or slammed, and everything is polished to a shine. I was driving around yesterday and noticed 3 other PT cruisers with the exact same after market rims as I have, and they were all the same black. I have decided I hate looking the same as everyone else. I started with something I have been meaning to do for over a year now. paint my gray bumpers...semi-flat black. This is just the start. next on the list is the front fenders, then the front doors, then the rear doors, then the rear quarters and tailgate. after the car is in her new tone, the roof shall be checker boarded, and the hood stripped of paint to let the rusting begin. I have yet to see another Ratted PT out on the roads, and its something that I don't see very often. If anyone is interested in seeing the evolution of this project let me know and I can start a "build" thread. Anyone interested in seeing what potential a PT Cruiser has?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I'll play, lets see it...

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I get what you're saying right... you're trying to make a PT cruiser look old and abused?

:icon_confused:

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
02, in simple terms, yes. I have no pictures of it yet, and the only thing that has been done is the front and rear bumpers, not even picture worthy. This is going to be a very low cost thing to do, and is more for my sick amusement then anything else. The PT Cruiser was originally made for people to customize, however no one ever did. It was designed as an old school rod, might as well try to make it look like an old school rod.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm... well, seems interesting to say the least... will be interesting to see what it looks like.

Good Luck

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
interesting. you should show me in person once it is done.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
If all goes to plan, painting and everything should be done by may, maybe june.

88rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I gotta drive one of those things whenever my ranger goes down. I'd love to see done that way.

HankG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Isn't changing the appearance of a vehicle without any other modifications in order to identify with a certain demographic, and to expressly reject others, really just the same thing everyone else is doing? Being unique just like everyone else, as it were.

Just seems silly to me to put in work to purposefully trash a vehicles appearance. :dunno:

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I will gladly help you "rat" it out.

Nothing says rat like beat in body panels and bullet holes.

Gotta have the bullet holes.

White walls.

No fenders.

Chop top.

Skulls and junk everywhere.

More bullet holes.

But seriously, I'm interested. Post pics :icon_thumby:

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
It was designed as an old school rod, might as well try to make it look like an old school rod.
I find it hard to justify calling a FWD car with an i4 any type of rod.

Also, I think you're missing the point of a rat rod. The point is to build something out of junk, without spending time or money on aesthetics. Function at the exclusion of form. "Ratting out" a perfectly good, working vehicle to try to fit in is proof that you're missing the point entirely.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
There is no point to this vehicle, I know the original rats were originally made by kids that didn't have the money to make a vehicle look good, but wanted to go fast, hint, beat up bodies, but fast little cars. I know I'm still fitting the main stream of "self expression" by customizing my car, its just how I'm doing it that doesn't fit the main stream. As for starting with a little inline 4 front wheel drive that isn't much more then the Neon, yes, I know rat rods were for big power, however, for those of you who have not seen under the hood of one, there is no room to put anything bigger then the factory 2.4L, but that 2.4L puts out all kinds of power, despite only being around the 150hp range, she moves quite well.

The entire purpose of this project is to stray away from the normal, and try to do something that isn't normally done, and something not normally done with this age of vehicle. I'm not putting a ton of money into this, trying to keep everything under the $100 range. Hate me if you want for not making it 100% rat, but keep in mind, this is a daily driver and my only vehicle, so I have to keep it on the road while doing this.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, all that black and white can only mean 2 things:

1. you're a member of the Geek Squad

or

2. you just can't get enough of that old Andy of Mayberry police car.

:icon_rofl:

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I've been thinking about pin striping or of sorts, but i'll start with the basics first and work from there.

As for the car itself, it is the best city vehicle I have ever owned, I have a lot of room in the front (way more then the HHR), and the back passengers have a fair bit of room (my father can sit in the back comfortably, and he's 6 feet). Folding the seats down or taking the rear seats out I have a ton of room for moving things. Mine is the base model 4 cylinder, so the basic 2.4L and 5speed manual transmission and it has plenty of power to move that car, plus I get decent mileage, about 400km in the winter and 500km in the summer city driving with about $30-40 worth of gas. On the highway I managed about 2500km with $150 worth of gas. I love the car and even though I am at about 200 000km the car isn't showing it aside from the rock chips, the interior is in perfect condition and showing no signs of wear, despite the fact that I am constantly bringing my work boots in, and boxes and other random crap being thrown everywhere. It holds up well, and aside form the common flaw areas, it has been quite reliable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals