• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project $3k BII Official Prebuild Thread

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
So, I've decided to take on yet another project in addition to my ongoing (and slow) Ranger and Explorer modifications.

But, this project has a customer and a budget (unlike my $0 available funding for my projects).

My dad and I were talking and he mentioned wanted to get a side x side ATV. I think most of these are goofy looking and overpriced for what you get so I suggested I could build him a BII for much less and get a similar experience from it. He asked how much it would cost and I thought I could do it for $3,000, including the price of the vehicle. He asked if it would have a roof to keep the rain out and heat and could keep up with his friend's CJ5 (which I've never seen but I can't imagine it being that extreme), I said yes on all accounts. He said "Let's do it". He also said he wants to trailer it to offroading places so this allows the mods to be less street friendly.

We haven't found a vehicle yet but have looked at a couple, not impressed so far. We're looking to spend $500-$1000 on the initial BII purchase, so it's ok if it's not in perfect condition, it's going to get some mods anyway. I've contacted several people who have ads and they haven't called me back. What's up with people selling vehicles and being unresponsive to potential buyers?!? I know when I sell vehicles I always call people right back! I want to get rid of the thing!

I haven't made concrete modification plans yet but have a few things in mind:
  • 2" Body lift
  • Rear Shackles or 63" Chevy springs for a little lift
  • Coil spacers (made with washers) or possibly Jeep lift springs for more flex
  • Fender trimming to remove rust, if present (or needed to clear tires)
  • I'm hoping to fit around 33" tires on this thing, possibly used or TreadWrights
  • Possibly weld the rear differential.
  • I'd like to make some bumpers out of rectangular tube to facilitate a winch in front and spots to mount d rings both front and rear (this may get us above the budget however, winches can get expensive!)
  • Might swap in Explorer seats if dad doesn't like the BII seats.
  • After the axles explode I'll probably buy a cheap donor Explorer and swap the axles over to the BII, probably put a locker in the rear and regear them, probably around 4.56 or 4.88s
  • Further down the road, might make the doors removable (or earlier as time permits), I'd like to chop the top and put a cage in but I'm not sure he'd go for that since I think he likes being warm and dry so I'd have to put some sort of soft top on.
Another thing I thought about was a tcase doubler but it seems like there's not a kit readily available so that might get a little expensive to do the custom work.

Any thoughts or suggestions on my plans?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I've contacted several people who have ads and they haven't called me back. What's up with people selling vehicles and being unresponsive to potential buyers?!

I've run into this an unbelievable number of times. You wouldn't think it'd be so hard to give people money!

Cool project, looks fun!

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift

jhammel85

Really I dont see anything wrong with either one of those. At least they are all manuals!

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Yeah, at first my dad wanted an automatic, claims he didn't like the hydraulic clutch setup on the 1990 Bronco II he bought new and traded in for an Explorer (with auto) in 1991. The availability of autos is quite slim so eventually we expanded it to manual transmissions as well.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
can always throw an auto in it if it matters that much.

i like the idea. i think if i was to build a b2 right now for that purpose it'd be

explorer axles
4.88 gears (trailered, then heck yea i want the lower set lol)
xj coils
probably not 63's in the rear, its a littler harder due to the body mount in the way
4.0 (if money permitted-- but a must in the future IMO, i love my 4.0!)
2 inch body lift-- unless just had to have a 3"
trim the heck out the fenders -- keep it as low as possible
ditch the sway bars
roll on bedliner floors
and so on

remember, if you get much suspension lift-- get your steering right! which can get expensive. 33's you might be able to pull it off with enough fender trimming, but youll have to seal the back fenders back up b/c youll be cutting into the cargo area probably.

weld the rear if its just a trail truck. its cheaper. lol. treadwrights-- i recommend them, i think i'm gonna get some for my DD/WW b2.. lol. if they wear out quick, i can buy 2 sets for basically the price of one set of km2's or mtr's w/ kev. watch craigslists for some boggers or something lol. allofcraigslist.com -- make it easy to search craigslists...

keep us updated!

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Yeah, I've found whole early '90s Explorers that could donate seats, axles, engine and auto transmission for under $700. One of them might work their way into the plans. I would like disc brakes on the 8.8 but I think for such a low price maybe we could sacrifice a bit.

I'll have to actually get a BII in front of me to see how much trimming I can do to the fenders but I think I'll follow the same body lines and also weld a lip back on the edge to give it a more stock like appearance.

I've got 32" tires on my '90 Ranger with nothing but fender trimming so I'm hoping fender trimming, a couple inch suspension lift, 2" body lift will clear 33" tires.

A lot of the Explorers I'm finding out here have limited slip rears, can these differentials be welded the same as an open differential? (I've never put much thought into that before now).

EDIT:

4.0B2: Check on the swaybars, easy mod I forgot to mention.
Roll on bedliner probably for the cargo area at least, I've done Herculiner on my Ranger and I'd like to try another brand to see how it is.
Thanks for the heads up on the 63" springs, maybe I could just use the Explorer springs and do a spring over conversion (although this might give me too much lift in the rear).

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
You know all you need to make that 8.8 a disc brake setup is a 95+ backing plate, calipers, and rotors. It'll bolt right to the same holes that the drum backing plate does.

Also b2's are already spring over. If you use the explorer 8.8 then you have to flip the spring perches to the top and weld on shock tabs. So I'd use the explorer rear leafs, if you need more find a block whatever height you need. I have 2 inch blocks on mine with the rough country lift kit and I can't complain.. The blocks have NEVER formed an issue.

Last edited:

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Kinda sounds like a lot of work sourcing those parts to convert to disc brakes, but if I'm getting the axles for almost nothing (if I'm using all the other parts) than it's probably worth it.

I'm aware the BII has spring under, wouldn't converting it to spring over instantly give you about 4" of lift in the rear? 4" is more than I was initially planning on lifting the front since I didn't want to have to try to find the parts for a real 4" front lift. Maybe down the road this is possible.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sounds cool, grab that eddie bauer

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Kinda sounds like a lot of work sourcing those parts to convert to disc brakes, but if I'm getting the axles for almost nothing (if I'm using all the other parts) than it's probably worth it.

I'm aware the BII has spring under, wouldn't converting it to spring over instantly give you about 4" of lift in the rear? 4" is more than I was initially planning on lifting the front since I didn't want to have to try to find the parts for a real 4" front lift. Maybe down the road this is possible.
It gives about 4" of lift when done on an explorer. The BII is spring over so It wont lift it any.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah an 8.8 with spring over is the same as the 7.5 spring over axle that is it stock. So... If you don't flip the 8.8 to SOA then you lose lift, if you make the 8.8 SOA itll be about the same as stock.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
OK, I think I'm following. Thanks for the correcting my misinformation.

So, basically I would need the Explorer axle, convert it to SOA and if I put it on the BII like that I would have 0" lift. To attain lift I would still have to do a block or a shackle lift.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
OK, I think I'm following. Thanks for the correcting my misinformation.

So, basically I would need the Explorer axle, convert it to SOA and if I put it on the BII like that I would have 0" lift. To attain lift I would still have to do a block or a shackle lift.
if you buy a donor EX, you can use the EX leaf springs and get a tad bit of lift. then you could use the chevy lowering shackles (belltech 6400's) and/or a small lift block

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals