• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pressure Lost?

SmartMax1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None yet
Total Drop
Wouldnt think of it lol
My credo
Git or done
If a fuel return line is leaking doesn't that effect the supply line pressure to the injection rail. Inquiring minds want to know.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I wouldn’t expect it to.

The pump is supposed to provide more fuel pressure and volume than the engine can use. The fuel pressure regulator Bleeds the excess off to the return line which just sends the extra back to the tank. I guess if you took it to extremes, if the return line leaks, then the fuel doesn’t go back ti the tank. Therefore, you would empty the tank faster. When the tank is empty, the pump can’t Make pressure any more. So, yeah. In a bad case, you would be right.

SmartMax1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None yet
Total Drop
Wouldnt think of it lol
My credo
Git or done
Well the prev.owner used JB WELD on a supply line and it got sucked into.an injector. How he knows which one I haven't that out yet. But when someone told me that according to a photo I submitted the line he say is the return line is one that I identified as a supply line. It starts as a hard line and changes to a flex line that runs up and out to the front and into the injector rail. Not important at this point as I am relacing both flex lines. The connections are pretty deteriorated. Appa
20200903_163417.jpg
rently I cant just cut them out and replace with new connectors . If I have to separate and replace then I will. I'm not convinced he's correct as to how I approach the fix. Thoughts?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I would think that those are a "non serviceable" unit and you won't be able to replace just the connector. and with 60psi of fuel going through them, I would not want to do so (can we say catastrophic engine fire?) replace the lines, trust me, the extra 30 bucks or even if it is an extra 100 bucks will be well worth it just for avoiding the aggravation of unhooking them at the most difficult end to replace the connector... another 5 minutes of work and you can likely have them out of the truck and once you are at that point, what is the use of putting old lines back in?

AJ

SmartMax1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None yet
Total Drop
Wouldnt think of it lol
My credo
Git or done

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If a fuel return line is leaking doesn't that effect the supply line pressure to the injection rail. Inquiring minds want to know.
For 1997 and older, no, the return line has 0psi pressure, its open at the gas tank end, so just has flow but no pressure, so if that line was leaking it wouldn't effect pressure at the injectors

1998 and up the fuel pressure regulator is in the gas tank, and there can be a Return line on the fuel filter, if it was leaking then pressure at the injectors would be effected

SmartMax1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None yet
Total Drop
Wouldnt think of it lol
My credo
Git or done
That's good stuff right there. Very helpful. Thank you very much. Keep on trucking in the free world. But drive a Ford if ya wanna drive at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals