• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible 2008 Explorer 4.6L Purchase, Educate Me Please

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Most of our customers left them in 4auto and just drove them.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
This is really wrong.

Some where AWD, but they were single-speed transfer cases as far as I know.

The 4-auto is not AWD. It defaults to a normal 2wd mode until a wheel starts slipping, and then it will engage into 4-hi for you automatically.

Short of physically disabiling the system, or modifying the wiring, there is no way to turn off the auto feature.
I thought I was reading an explorer manual that stated in the menu settings you could disable the Auto 4WD which would just make it 2WD. I found the manual I was reading and re-read that section. I misunderstood it. The AWD can be toggled between AWD, Locked, and Auto AWD. Unless that is just for the single speed transfer case models you talked about.

However, I'm not buying it so it don't matter. They have the prices on everything doubled to pay for their 3 year warranty, so its going to be several months before I can worry about buying anything.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee decided to puke transmission fluid all over my carport so trying to figure out what the heck to do with it, if it weren't for dealing with the mess I would part it out as everything except the transmission is in great condition interior, exterior, engine, etc.

That Explorer I was looking at is in great condition but not so sure it would be worth paying double the price ($13,000) just to have a 3 year warranty.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Most of our customers left them in 4auto and just drove them.
Probably most people do because not very many would take them offroading, so the 4hi and 4lo buttons probably never got touched LOL. So the only reason the 4 Auto button exists is to go back to normal mode from high or low range then I would assume. I thought at first it had auto, high, and low buttons because you could press the auto button to put it in 4auto but would normally be a 2WD otherwise until you selected auto, high or low. That's now how it works though LOL.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Probably most people do because not very many would take them offroading, so the 4hi and 4lo buttons probably never got touched LOL. So the only reason the 4 Auto button exists is to go back to normal mode from high or low range then I would assume. I thought at first it had auto, high, and low buttons because you could press the auto button to put it in 4auto but would normally be a 2WD otherwise until you selected auto, high or low. That's now how it works though LOL.
My buttons get touched every time I change the oil at home. The slip of the front wheels pushing my ramps around is not enough to trigger the automatic shift into 4-hi, so I have to do it myself to get up the ramps.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
My buttons get touched every time I change the oil at home. The slip of the front wheels pushing my ramps around is not enough to trigger the automatic shift into 4-hi, so I have to do it myself to get up the ramps.
Does yours have the V8 or V6? I was thinking the V8 model for better pulling power for towing applications, and possibly more reliable?

When in 4 Auto does it use a clutch in the transfer case or how does that work in these? Also, in 4Hi does it just lock the clutch pack or is it true part time 4WD in high and low?

I'm really set on getting an Explorer here soon to replace that POS Jeep, and I think the V8 would be my best option given all the hills and backroads where I live to make towing easier on the drivetrain. Plus I don't see where the V6 really gets any better fuel economy, at least not enough to push me towards a V6 model.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a 4.0. I was looking for a 4.6 this last time, but I couldn't find one I was willing to buy and this one came along for the right price. I did find one 4.6 Explorer in my price range, but it had no 3rd row (didn't know not having a 3rd row was an option in a gen4 Explorer) and the engine was blown. I would have bought it and put an engine in it, but those engine bays are packed so tight compared to the 4.0.

The Auto 4 just uses a magnetic clutch. You actually can wrest control of that from the computer by cutting the brown wire and putting it on a button or switch that you control.

4-hi actually locks in a collar like on a regular transfer case.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I have a 4.0. I was looking for a 4.6 this last time, but I couldn't find one I was willing to buy and this one came along for the right price. I did find one 4.6 Explorer in my price range, but it had no 3rd row (didn't know not having a 3rd row was an option in a gen4 Explorer) and the engine was blown. I would have bought it and put an engine in it, but those engine bays are packed so tight compared to the 4.0.

The Auto 4 just uses a magnetic clutch. You actually can wrest control of that from the computer by cutting the brown wire and putting it on a button or switch that you control.

4-hi actually locks in a collar like on a regular transfer case.
Thank you for the education on the 4WD system.

I think I'm going to pick it up, even though its a bit higher priced than others, the 3 year warranty I think makes it worth it, at least gives me an easier feeling of buying a used vehicle. The service records show the spark plugs were replaced at 102k miles, as well as a full lube service.

Should I take it in and have the transmission serviced if it hasn't been done? I didn't check on that I was more worried about spark plugs being done, and such. It has 125k on it now. I would hope that it has been done and will check in the records for sure and maybe see if the dealer will do the service on it if it hasn't been done as part of the buying agreement.

At this point I can't see throwing more money at my Jeep Grand Cherokee, as much as I love its 4WD system, its 22 years old and by far been the most unreliable out of my vehicles. Sad because I've had it for 3 years and have only put 11k on it, and have babied it compared to my previous Jeep that I beat on all the time and had twice the mileage on it when I sold it. I was looking at a newer Jeep but seems they just got less reliable the newer I went, so I figure the Explorer would be a better option and would put me 100% back in the Ford family with the 87 Ranger, 88 Bronco 2, and hoping to be a 2008 Explorer soon...that is if they still have it by Thursday.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I'd get the trans serviced at 125K. IIRC that was the actual listed service interval for those years.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yeah, I'd get the trans serviced at 125K. IIRC that was the actual listed service interval for those years.
Excellent, thank you. Going over to make the deal tomorrow morning. Hopefully they still have it LOL. Website says its still there so...fingers crossed. Its an Eddie Bauer Edition as well and paint color scheme matches my red/tan bronco 2.

I'm so ready to kick the Jeep to the curb, I swear I'd buy a skateboard just to get rid of that dang Jeep LOL.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
4-Auto IS 2wd but the computer will kick in the front end if the rear wheels spin. It does not run in AWD. The only reason to disable 4-Auto is if you want to do donuts and burnouts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals