• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PlumCrazy's Build

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
ive been in water up to my headlights and over my headlights when your first dipping into the water and never had a problem with my fuse box. only thing is my distributor but thats all sealed up with rtv and the vent extended to the firewall.

i know thats different but im sure sealing the coil pack on a ranger wouldnt be hard. and i never got mine wet anyways

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
that's pretty cool.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
so what happens if your fuse box gets wet? Or your coil pack?
Honestly I dont plan on driving in hood deep water, but I know I will drop into a few holes that are deeper than planned. I have pulled water into the intake already, and it was a just quick dip above the headlights on my way into the hole. It doesnt take muck to hydro lock, so I just want to be sure its not going to be an issue. I probably could have just left the intake behind the fender and removed the stock little cold are scoop and been done, but I wanted to build something.lol Plus, the precleaner is awesome on all the dusty gravel roads around here.lol

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No, but it does a damn good job separating the water and dirt out of the incoming air. It spins the air fast enough to fling the heavier particles to outer edge of the bowl. I dumped out a bunch dirt already.

thats pretty cool. I like it, never know how deep water crossings are till its too late.:beer:

jwestra

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey there still working on this? i always really liked watching this built!

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
hey there still working on this? i always really liked watching this built!
I have been busy with moving, new job, and school. But I have been wheeling and working on the truck more than ever. I will update this thread sometime soon.lol

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I swapped out the old mechanical fan for an electric fan, nit because I plan to make more power, but because when the mechanical fan hits deep water the blades were deflecting into the radiator. I wired the new fan to come on at 185 and off at 170. I also set it up so I could have it on auto, off, or on full time. I can just flip it off when I cross something deep and I can let run for a while when the truck is off if I need to. I put in a 180 degree t stat to aide the electric fan, my temps run almost identical to what they used to. I put the electric fan temp switch inline on the heater hose like the old 4 banger rangers did factory. As a matter of fact that is where I got the "T" with the 1/2"npt fitting that goes in the hose. I put it in the hose just behind the alternator.

I got prove out the system about a week later when I let a friend on mine guide me through a creek that he said "We drive four wheelers and tractors through here all the time, its the only way into the back field". Turns out he was full of BS and the water got 4 ft deep, so we went up on the bank to go around the deep spot and as we dropped backed in the truck buried itself in a big silt deposit on the bend of the creek. First attempt to pull it out ended with my truck sitting in the deep water and hooked on a huge log at the bottom of the creek.Long story, but 6 hrs, 4 stuck tractors and a backhoe later and we had everything unstuck.

I gutted my interior the next day and dried everything out, changed all my fluids which all looked like chocolate milk. Definitely time for lockers when funding permits.lol

I finally got around to swapping in the 16.5 gal fuel tank from the reg cab. Its at least 10" shorter up front, which gives plenty of room for the doubler when that time comes. I was able to use the supercab fuel pump even though the pumps are shaped a squeak different down in the tank. They are the same depth and the float doesnt hit anything. I have been running for a couple weeks, and it the gauge seems to be spot on. I filled it up at 1/2 tank and it took exactly 8 gallons, then I ran it to empty (check gauge light came on) and it took just over 16 to fill it. I also liked the supercab pump more because it has stainless lines. I used the plastic lock ring from the reg cab and it all worked out perfect.

Unfortunately I lost my phone in a creek while getting my truck unstuck and lost most of the pictures I had of the electric fan install and the gas tank swap. get some pics of the last stuck and the other stuff sometime soon

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
good to see you back to work on this thing!

99supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel,3.0
Transmission
Automatic
your truck looks sweet it looks better in person then it does in the pics

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
your truck looks sweet it looks better in person then it does in the pics
Doylestown isn't to far from where I work on Wooster. I am assuming you have seen the big blue turd around the 585 / 83 area? I work at Bosch-Rexroth there on 585 and go ATI in Wooster.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I forgot to post up my last big stuck.lol

It got worse after the pictures, but but by then my phone was dead, it was dark and the water was rising.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Here is comparison of the 20 gal super cab tank and the 16.5 gal regular cab tank. The difference def makes enough room for the doubler.

I was able to use my super cab fuel pump even though the pickup and float are configured differently, it it still allows me to use the whole 16 gallons, and the float doesnt hit the side of the tank.

Here is the new switch panel I made. Its aluminum and houses all my switches. I used illumnated LED rockers this time. The two on the right side allow me to set my e-fan to automatic or on fulltime, then the middle section controls fog lights, bumper lights, roof lights, and rock/back up lights. The last section contols the air horn, then two unused switches for now, and the amp.

I may paint the aluminum black, but I kinda like the raw look.

I snapped a crappy pic of the fan setup. I removed the stock fan and shroud and had to trim the treaded portion off the waterpump to clear the e-fan motor. I think my core support sets the radiator back a smidge farther then stock which complicated things. I used a rlay harness and mount from an Explorer, im not 100% sure what it was for on the Expo, but It had heavy gauge wires and a nice little bracket.lol Ill grap some pics of the temp sensor and relay tomorrow if I remember,

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I finished my double shaft today as well. I turned down an output shaft from an old tranny to press fit into the sun gear of the tcase planetary set, then welded the two together. I hope it holds.lol If it breaks then I may buy a one piece shaft. I also milled down the filler pieces that I welded to fill the 1/2" gap created by cutting off the case. The half of the case now sits 100% flat on the 1/2" aluminum plate that I am going to use to build the doubler. Hopefully I can get the doubler finished in the next few weeks.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
And I figure I will throw up a little video of a burnout:)

And my my most recent additions to my dent collection, I believe they were all on the same tree.

and the biggy

I also got to replace a passenger window last week, not because of a treee though, because some little piece of shit decided they wanted to to steal my Ipod and my tackle box while I was parked at an expo in Columbus. At least they were too dumb to steal my OBD II scanner and all my dewalt cordless tools that were also in the truck.

Last edited:

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I also got to replace a passenger window last week, not because of a treee though, because some little piece of shit decided they wanted to to steal my Ipod and my tackle box while I was parked at an expo in Columbus. At least they were too dumb to steal my OBD II scanner and all my dewalt cordless tools that were also in the truck.
Please tell me you found the little fu(ker and beat the living s#it out of him.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals