• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

parts needed for SAS...

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, havent been around in a while but i need some questions awnsered lol...

I am going to be putting a narrowed dana 44 under my explorer, i have the complete axle, radius arms and radius arm brackets. i also have a set of 4'' lift coils for a rbv...

my question is- what coil bucket do i use at the bottom of the coil? i am talking about the one that bolts to the radius arm and holds the bottom of the coil in snug..

can i get one to use the rbv coil or do i have to use fullsize components?

this is the ONLY thing that is holding me from getting this explorer out of my shop, once i figure out the parts needed ( either soft-ride fullsize coils, or some sort of adapter coil hold down to run the rbv coil on the fullsize axle) then i can get this thing mobile!!!:icon_bounceblue:

any help is greatly appreciated cuz right now im just kinda :icon_confused:

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You will NOT want to run the rbv coil. Find a better coil from either a truck, bronco, or jeep to run. The ranger coil is way too stiff to run in a SAS configuration.

How much lift you want?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yup, all depends on what you want, and no, RBV springs and SAS do no mix well

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
all right, rbv coils are a no..

the explorer is sitting on a set of 34'' ltb's, when i did my soa conversion i got around 5'' of lift, i dont want to go TOO high because i want to keep this streetable without drawing attention from the law..

looks like a set of eb 5'' coils are in my future? the truck will be used for mostly trails and mud, not too many areas to go crawlin' over slickrock here in wisconsin, how much lift do i get when using eb coils? i dont want to order a set of coils only to have to lift it more in the rear to make it look right..

thanks guys!!

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
with an explorer your gonna wanna find a stiff EB coil cause your is a heavier vehicle than other RBV. Your 44 should have the lower buckets you need you just may have to mod the retainer but i'm not positive on that. You need any help with anything hit me up

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
RBV coils and TTB don't mix so well either lol, at least when it comes to flex.

EB coils around 250-300PPI or so should be fine. With a straight axle, it's typically about 2" more lift you get than what is claimed for the EB, so a 3.5" EB coil is probably what you're after.

gearhead51

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
duff coils are a little stiffer eb coils and work well in explorers and like 4x4 junkie said, a 3.5 in lift coil will be about right for your aplication

t120r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Jeffsbroncograveyard has what you are looking for. It's a 2 piece bucket that bolts to the top of the radius arm C.

What axles did you use that you had to narrow?

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
all right, 3.5'' james duff eb coil, awesome...thanks guys it is much appreciated!!! i cant wait to get this thing rollin' (and running) and out of my shop!!:yahoo:

tr120r- the axles used was a dana 44 out of a 79 f150 that was narrowed to explorer width, than 3/4 ton outers were bolted to it to make it into a coil-sprung 3/4 ton:icon_hornsup:

t120r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would love to find an F150 front. Using my '79 Bronco D44 presents a few challanges in making it streetable

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals