• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One micron bypass filters clean oil = no engine wear

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Only a small portion of the oil goes through the filter, most gets bypassed.

It would be immpossible to pump a large volume of oil (high engine rpm's) through an automotive style oil filter.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
And that is why remote bypass filters were invented. Here is pic of what amsoil offers and if you look closely they offer an accumulator option to prevent dry starts.
I do not use their oil products per se although I think they are on the right track with their filter products.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have been using a bypass filter along with the standard filter and synthetic oil on two different Rangers for a total mileage of nearly 300,000 miles. I use a Harvard bypass filter and it is suppose to be equivalent to a micron filter but is not actually rated as such. I had the oil analyzed in the first Ranger every oil change, at 25,000 miles, and it showed that the viscosity got a little too high above 20,000 miles. I overcame that by adding a lower weight oil when I changed the standard oil filter. Otherwise, the oil was totally in spec and all the wear indicators were normal.

I have gone to a 20,000 mile oil change interval with my latest Ranger to stay away from the viscosity increase. I run the recommended weight oil in it and decided it would be better not to have to add an even lower weight oil.

My first Ranger had almost 200,000 miles on it when I sold it and it used no more oil then compared to when it was new. A coworker bought it and is still driving it with well over 200,000 miles on it now.

My bypass oil filter system filters about 20% of the oil that that goes through the oil pump. I was concerned initially about it taking too much oil and possibly starving the engine. I was assured that the oil pump had plenty of capacity to handle that and I have never had a problem with oil starvation in the engine. I tow a lot too so the engine gets a good work out.

Bypass filter systems in combination with synthetic oil and the standard oil filter work very well to achieve extended oil change intervals.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals