• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One micron bypass filters clean oil = no engine wear

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Real clean oil means extended oil changes up to 20,000 miles and beyond, tests prove that the standard crap filters we all use remains to be the main contributor to engine wear as well as unnecessary oil changes. High quality bypass filters eliminate the above issues.

Thoughts? And let’s hear some real comments from real engine guys – post your peanut gallery and BS comments elsewhere!

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
oil still oxidizes as it sits in your engine even if you have a fancy filter.you'd need an oil with a high resistance to oxidation if you wanted to leave it in there for longer than 6 months.although combined with an electric pre-oiler it might be a slick setup.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
As I recall, there was a test done on a mack truck engine, they filled it with Amsoil and hooked a bypass up to it and drove it for over 400,000 miles without changing it, then a independent engine builder tore it down and claimed the wear looked like a normal engine using dino oil with normal changes and it was super clean inside.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We do somethng similar to this at work with our large refrigeration compressors. Very high filtration, moisture separators, etc. When you have a room full of $40K compressors, I guess it makes sense.

As was stated above, oxidation is going to be a problem regardless. Also, moisture contamination will still be a problem. around here, with our high humidity and large temp variations, you gets lots of condensation, which means that you still get corrosion in the motor, and the associated problems with rust and such. In addition to this, the additive package does wear out, and high filtration cannot fix that.

As I have said in the RP thread, My truck has run 193K miles on dino oil, and I have many other industrial engines that have very high hours (sometimes over 10K hrs) on dino oil with no problems. Most of these use a plain automotive type filter (I forget the Napa # I run on the Onans), and have NO problems after thousands of hours.

I have thought about using syntheics and high filtration before, but in the end it's not worth it (YOU try getting a 50 Yr old industrial engine That's still in use to stop leaking... I'll let you start with a 6-71 Driptroit :taunt:)

Still, I would be interested to see the results of adding a bypass filter and running synthetic on long term wear on a modern engine.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
On older, high mileage engines wouldn't you also get some blowback from worn rings and such? That could contaminate/thin the oil, couldn't it?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
As I recall, there was a test done on a mack truck engine, they filled it with Amsoil and hooked a bypass up to it and drove it for over 400,000 miles without changing it, then a independent engine builder tore it down and claimed the wear looked like a normal engine using dino oil with normal changes and it was super clean inside.
Scamsoil also tries to deceive you into believing all of their oil products are API certified too, when only 2 are API certified! They also lie when they say their ATF meets the specs on Dexron VI, Mercon V, and Mercon SP, when the viscosity spec is different on all 3 of these ATFs!!

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fleetguard makes oil filters for large diesels that have two sections. The top looks just like a standard oil filter with pleated paper. But the bottom section is a thick stack of papers with holes punched in them. It acts as a small-micron bypass filter. Those filters do certainly improve the oil cleanliness, but customers who never change their oil are still big business.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Wildside, all your opinions are INSANELY accurate, and I personally think haynes, chilton's, EVEN THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS should have you write their service manuals.....you should even personally certify all ASE mechanics!!!!

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I some how get the feeling that I will need to post my oil results after 5k miles on it.

Oil is Royal Purple 5w-30 and a Motorcraft FL-1 oil filter. Full oil change done @ 5k miles. I'll be getting a third test done when the Ranger hits 110k miles and I change the oil

Last edited:

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so what is a micron bypass filter??

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i doubt it will reduce engine wear. most engine wear come from the oil sitting at the bottom of the engine when it starts up and not at the top. it take a few revolutions to get it to the top which is only seconds.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I should clarify a few things, I am talking about remote bypass filters and not the bypass type filter in general that engines typically use. Reading up on how poorly the typical oil filter performs even if does meet engine manufacturer specs, you can see how unprotected engines really are.

Regarding oil starvation during startup, wear can further be reduced by using oil formulated to protect during dry starts and if an accumulator is used… then how much wear would an engine be exposed to overall?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've heard from our resident GM engineer at work that anything under 10 micron removes the adatives in the oil that help water contamination and aging, so you'd be shortening the life of the oil...

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
Real clean oil means extended oil changes up to 20,000 miles and beyond, tests prove that the standard crap filters we all use remains to be the main contributor to engine wear as well as unnecessary oil changes. High quality bypass filters eliminate the above issues.

Thoughts? And let’s hear some real comments from real engine guys – post your peanut gallery and BS comments elsewhere!
the main contributor in engine wear as i see it isn't the type of filter you use
it's the "dry" start you get when your oil has settled to the bottom of your pan along with the oxidation[ several of you have mentioned in this threads past posts] you get when ALL oil sits for extended periods. if you want a "HIGH MICRON FILTER " use it where it do the most benefit, in your air and crankcase breather, that is where most of the harmfull crap gets in to the motor from in the first place. if you want to decrease engine wear find a way for us to have 100% "wet starts when we start our engines:pray:

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard from our resident GM engineer at work that anything under 10 micron removes the adatives in the oil that help water contamination and aging, so you'd be shortening the life of the oil...
I would like to see the molecular size of those additives! Besides the filter would clog up and stop working within a very short while which I have found no reports of so far.there are bypass filters that have an additive package built in to them but oil companies would recommend against such of course.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals