• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil dip stick tube

firemanst13

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
OK, I messed up, I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4.0 truck. I am in the process of putting a remanufactured long block in it. I forgot to put the oil dip stick tube back in and now I have the engine back I and transmission and I have no idea how to put the tube back in or even the way it is supposed to route. Please please please, will someone help me with this? I need a picture of the direction it is supposed to be routed and how am I supposed to put it back into the engine? I have looked everywhere; I even have the Clymer book for my truck and does not mention the dip stick tube anywhere must less how to put it back in. I am begging, I do not want to have to pull everything back out for this tube. I am having a hard enough time as it is. Thank you ahead of time

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
OK, I messed up, I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4.0 truck. I am in the process of putting a remanufactured long block in it. I forgot to put the oil dip stick tube back in and now I have the engine back I and transmission and I have no idea how to put the tube back in or even the way it is supposed to route. Please please please, will someone help me with this? I need a picture of the direction it is supposed to be routed and how am I supposed to put it back into the engine? I have looked everywhere; I even have the Clymer book for my truck and does not mention the dip stick tube anywhere must less how to put it back in. I am begging, I do not want to have to pull everything back out for this tube. I am having a hard enough time as it is. Thank you ahead of time
I'm pretty sure your '93 is basically the same as my '95. The dipstick is a press fit in a hole in the block just above the pan rail, on the driver's side, just rear-ward of the left motor-mount bracket. It's oriented straight up and down (front to back) and follows the V-angle of the engine (left to right). The top of the stick routes inside the exhaust manifold primary tubes for cylinders 4 & 5, behind the EGR valve, and in front of cylinder 5 spark plug. There are two mounting tabs on the dip stick tube. The top one is what actually fixes the tube in place, over a stud that screws into the cylinder head above #4 exhaust port. That stud also supports the EGR-intake pipe.

Here's a picture from above the driver's side fender. Dipstick center bottom (Engine Oil), AC compressor top left, power steering pump bottom left, brake booster bottom right. Note the EGR valve in front of and EGR sample tube just outboard of the stick.

Here's a closeup from above. The nut in the very center is over the stud that mounts both the dip-stick tab and the EGR bracket to the driver's cylinder head.

Here's a shot from inside the driver's side fender well from over the spring bucket. The shiny black tube in the center is the dipstick. Steering shaft is the brightly lit tube in the foreground (please ignore my crusty brake lines). Note the half-moon mounting ear of the stamped steel motor mount bracket just forward (left) of the tube. I think that mounting tab on the tube is for a fuel line bracket or some wiring, which I haven't found myself yet.

As mentioned the tube itself is a press fit, and can be installed by tapping with a block of wood and a hammer straight down from the top. I've never noticed an issue with leaks, but for insurance I did smear a small dab of oil resistant RTV sealant around the top 1/4 inch where the tube installs in the block.

I hope that helps, and good luck.

firemanst13

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you, the pictures helped a lot and was able to get it installed the correct way

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals