• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Off my rocker

Sonkay ranger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I recently rebuilt the 2.5L in my wife's 2001 ranger. Upon initial startup it broke 3 rocker arms. After much time spent diagnosing why (and many more broken rockers), I have determined that the lash adjusters are pumping up too far and causing the valve springs to bind and then breaking the rocker! Why is this happening? Has anyone ever experienced this before? I have never built one of these 2.5L, or any ford overhead cam motor. I have done several successful builds of various types but this one really has me baffled! Anyone who can help me solve this will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Sonkay ranger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know what the installed spring pressure should be?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Free bump...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ifn I had any good ideas for you I'd let you know... maybe try different lash adjusters? Last time I changed them they were cheap but things have been dumb the last few years... I've honestly never had that kind of issue, I've half hazardly slapped a few Lima's together over the years and it's all just worked...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd keep checking back Sonkay, someone will eventually. hopefully sooner rather than later, at least give you some ideas on it. Good luck there

Sonkay ranger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for replies, this was a almost complete rebuild, I did new lash adjusters and I feel it is related somehow to them over pumping. I got them from enginetech, I am a enginetech distributor, and have seen very few problems with their parts but it's definitely possible!!! I checked my installed height spring pressure and it was only 54lbs, that seems very low to me but my background is mostly small block Chevys with aftermarket cams seat pressure 3 to 4 times that. I ordered some new factory springs, they should arrive tomorrow. We will see then what difference there is in spring pressure and if I need to install the old lash adjusters or not. Thanks again, I really appreciate all input! We will get it right eventually and then we'll all know!

Sonkay ranger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Good morning all. I got the new springs and the installed height spring pressure is 68 lbs, that's 14 lbs more than the old springs that were 54 lbs. I am hoping that will be enough of a increase that the lash adjusters will not over power the springs and over pump to the point of coil bind. Now here's my next question, during all this troubleshooting, I broke so many rocker arms that I depleted the inventory of the local salvage yard! Will 2.3L rockers work on a 2.5L? They are stronger but they are made for a larger valve stem so they will be a little sloppy side to side. Does anyone know if this will cause extra wear on the cam or the valve stem? I am building this motor/truck to donate to a local family farm that needs it and I really don't want to give them something that could give them trouble down the road! Thank you all for any and all help!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the yard has any '95-97 2.3L's they're the same part as the 2.5L units, they reduced the valve stem size in '95 or '96... but I've also heard you can use the rockers for the bigger stems but have never tried myself...

Sonkay ranger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for that, I was able today to find another set of the right rockers in a yard about an hour and a half from here, was a nice day for a ride at least! I hope to be able to reassemble everything soon and let everyone know how it turned out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals