• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd Security Message

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, so my boss usually asks me to fix or tweak little things on his home laptop, but this time he has brought me one that has me stumped.

His brother in law, whom I am given to understand is less than computer savvy, did something (I am still not sure what exactly) and it has been acting oddly since. I have most of it cleaned up, but there is one message that keeps popping up that I have not been able to clear up, mostly because I can't make it happen in front of me. He did bring me a picture of the message though.

When he connects to his home network it pops up and says "SSID default unsecure" etc etc, (I know this is because his router still uses "Linksys" as the SSID, but that will be harder to fix). It also says something about going to the "Application Tools" menu and turning this notice off, which is what I want to do. My problem is I have never seen or heard of this "Application Tools" screen, and can't find it.

This is a Latitude 620 running and OEM install of XP. I also have to use ProSet to manage the wireless networks instead of letting windows do it because windows seems to cause problems with his router for some reason. I am almost 50% sure that ProSet is the cause of this problem.

Does anyone know how to find this "Application Tools" screen?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a Dell 620 as well.

Start > All Programs > Intel PROSet Wireless > Wi-Fi Connection Utility.
Or if you have a faster way do that.

Click on the Tools tab then application settings.

Should have something like this in the list:
Notify when connected to an unsecured network.... uncheck it

OK, found this
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025775.htm

He should probably run with a password using WPA or WPA2 on his WiFi, tell him people can read his email if he doesn't, which is kinda true, not a bold face lie in other words, lol.

Linksys routers are all pretty much the same
Send him this
http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=19073

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thank's Ron. That was it. I hate PROset, it is easily my least favorite wireless management program.

I agree that he should put a key of some sort on his network, but he is old school and doesn't do anything more than listen to Pink Floyd on Youtube at home. He isn't really in to computers and setting up even the basic security is beyond his abilities. I'd go set it up for him, but it's 40 miles in the other direction.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your welcome :)

Yes, probably not best to add another layer of complications to his system, especially if you get the call at night, "hey, how are ya, what was my password again?", lol

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
That is a great call. Guaranteed to happen if you setup someone's security for them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals