• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noise when starting 2010 Ranger

slushee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock
just picked up a brand new 2010 ranger

when I let it sit for 2 or 3 days, when I start the truck, I have it in first gear, parking break is on and the clutch depressed.

Sometimes I hear what sounds like I'm trying to push the the shifter into first gear without the clutch depressed noise for about 2-5 seconds. Then it stops and I wont hear that noise again.

I took it into ford, they just gave me a random answer saying its normal because they couldn't make it happen.

No sooner then I get it back, and bam, it does it again. I'm not worried that somethings majorly wrong, but i'm curious what this issue might be. Again, sounds like when u try to shove a shifter into first w/o the clutch depressed, and only happens when its sat for 2-3 days not running, and only on the first start up for 2-5 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
if its being sitting for a few days, maybe the trans fluid has gone to the oil pan.
i think u better put it in neutral before starting it.

slushee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock
sounds like a plan, i'll pull it outa first gear into neutral before I start and see if that fixes it :)

I'll report back

Last edited:

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
if its being sitting for a few days, maybe the trans fluid has gone to the oil pan.
i think u better put it in neutral before starting it.
There is no oil pan on a manual transmission. Putting it in neutral shouldn't have anything to do with it. My guess is a defective slave cylinder from the factory.

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since its a brand new truck it should still be under warranty right? If so I would take it back and have them fix what ever is going on. If you do it your self you may void your warranty.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If this is a brand new truck, why bother asking for help? Man....keep that warranty and go to the dealer ASAP. Never mees with a new ride until it is out of warranry like all of us.....lift kit....big butt tires....neat exhaust....new gears.....drill holes to add neat stuff......lol

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the clutch is not fully releasing. Could be air in the lines or a bad slave. Usually, if you pump the clutch with the tranny in Neutral, it should go into gear without making that grind noise.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm gonna give you this advice as a dealer tech who has to deal with random stuff like this all the time.

Go in, make it do it for them. Don't describe it and leave the truck, bring the adviser out and make it make the noise for him. Warranty hardly pays anything, and it pays even less for a No Problem Found, so I guarantee the guy went out, started it once, maybe twice, didn't hear it, then gave up.

If you can show them and have the writer hear it, suddenly the concern becomes verified and warranty will pay them to figure it out and fix it.

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
sorry if this is off subject, but somtimes on cold mornings i have to slam my shifter pretty hard to get it to go it to reverse or 1st when leaving my driveway. It doesnt make any grinding noises like when you dont push the clutch all the way down, its just hard to shove into gear when its cold. Is this normal? Sorry its the only manual ive owned so far since im only 16, so i dont have anything to compare it to lol

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
sorry if this is off subject, but somtimes on cold mornings i have to slam my shifter pretty hard to get it to go it to reverse or 1st when leaving my driveway. It doesnt make any grinding noises like when you dont push the clutch all the way down, its just hard to shove into gear when its cold. Is this normal? Sorry its the only manual ive owned so far since im only 16, so i dont have anything to compare it to lol
Try double clutching (put the clutch in, let it out in N, and then put it in and try to get into gear) some times they just shift hard in the cold. My old one was really bad for that. I haven't had the new trans during any really cold weather yet, so I can't speak for it.

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
thanks adsm08. yea i dont have any problems in the summer but sometimes in the winter like when it gets below freezing it can be a little stiff to shift when i first start it up.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
mine acts like yours 4x4wannabe i think thats common on some rangers.

mine acts funny on the acelerator when its cold lol, i gotta leave it run a couple minutes or it will bog if i gas it. it has no CEL tho...

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
yea rangersport, mine can act a little funny in the cold, sometimes it wont idle steady, like one minute it will be idling at like 800 rpm and then drop down to like 600 and act like its gonna stall out and then jump back up to 1000 or so. Im not too fond of the whole completely computer controlled ignition and fuel mixture crap.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
just picked up a brand new 2010 ranger

when I let it sit for 2 or 3 days, when I start the truck, I have it in first gear, parking break is on and the clutch depressed.

Sometimes I hear what sounds like I'm trying to push the the shifter into first gear without the clutch depressed noise for about 2-5 seconds. Then it stops and I wont hear that noise again.

I took it into ford, they just gave me a random answer saying its normal because they couldn't make it happen.

No sooner then I get it back, and bam, it does it again. I'm not worried that somethings majorly wrong, but i'm curious what this issue might be. Again, sounds like when u try to shove a shifter into first w/o the clutch depressed, and only happens when its sat for 2-3 days not running, and only on the first start up for 2-5 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated!!
I just had a 2008 Sterling day cab (I work on semi's) come in the shop the other doing this exact same thing. Turned out to be the bendix on the starter was still trying to engage the teeth on the ring gear (bad solenoid sticking), not sure if that would fix your problem or not though. Just a $0.02 thought!

slushee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock
Thanks guys. Fortunately I have 3 years to get to the bottom of this AND i am home now driving the truck every day with no issue with this noise. My initial 'want' is to say it was a new starter sticking and it's worked itself in. If I get onto another project, let the truck sit for 3 days and it occurs again, I will take it to the dealership, let it sit for 3 days, then bring the advisor out and show them the noise ...

I appreciate everything you've said. I suppose if it is something going bad or defective it would be getting worse, not better!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals