• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No stock in Canada, front brake hoses

alyoko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 (09-85)
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hello and thanks to all in advance!

Working on my '86 Ranger and getting the front axle all done. I noticed my front brake lines are really cracked bad. Head off to NAPA I go.......no stock in CANADA - WTF??? Cross the street to AutoValue and same story!!!! So, last resort....Canadian Tire, NO stock in western Canada?? things are looking
slim. Need to source out some front brake hoses in Alberta Canada (calgary) where shipping & Handling DOSEN'T require a 2nd mortgage.
(1986 09/85 date reg cab LWB 4X4 2.9 5sp)

Again, any help is GREAT!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If you have something else to drive, you can take the brakelines off and take them to gregg's. They will silver solder new crimp ends on your factory ends and make them any length you'd like. Or if you can find the thread size and end type, they can make you new ones.

alyoko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 (09-85)
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
gregg's? as in Gregg Distributor?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another option;
ask the counter guy to bring out some f-150 stock or whatever he thinks may be close. I've used that approach to get some extended lines for my '91 ranger. IIRC there was some within an inch or two of stock.

Richard

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
im coming up with wagner part no. BH111956 for the left and BH111957 for the right. my warehouse has them in stock (autovalue - michigan). i agree with alwaysfloored, see if one of the parts places has an illustration catalog for brake hoses (we have one that is organized by dimensions, but its 25 or more years old and coming apart) or see if they will let you go through the boxes and find a close match.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm using jeep hoses on the front of my 91 but I can't remember what jeep, either xj or yj. They were not a direct fit but I can't remember what I had to do to fit them, can't have been much different or I would have remembered what I did.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
gregg's? as in Gregg Distributor?
Yup, Greggs Distributors. The other guys advice is sound as well, see what they have for F150/Bronco line as well and see if they'll work for ya. Better safe then sorry.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Have you checked with a dealership?

alyoko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 (09-85)
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE:
my foreman mentioned a company called GREENLINE. They make hydraulic hoses of all sorts. He had some brake flex hoses made for his '84 international dump truck while he waited!!!! New hose, new fittings AND pressure tested for 20 bucks each! He actually went to Greegg's, as he was told the same thing but (at least here) they don't do that kind of work. I'll look into the F150 lines but for some reason in the back of my mind I remember the '86 4X4 being 'different' then all the rest, then there was a "mid-year production update" starting AFTER 10/86 It's monday and allllll overtime at work. Will update tomorrow/wed on what I find out

thanks to all who responded, hope everyone gets their questions answered

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
you are remembering correctly, the 86 lines have a considerably more complex steel line pportion than other years. when i looked at 86 f150 lines they looked to be the same length but im not sure if youd be able to make the metal part work for you as the bends werent the same.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hello and thanks to all in advance!

Working on my '86 Ranger and getting the front axle all done. I noticed my front brake lines are really cracked bad. Head off to NAPA I go.......no stock in CANADA - WTF??? Cross the street to AutoValue and same story!!!! So, last resort....Canadian Tire, NO stock in western Canada?? things are looking
slim. Need to source out some front brake hoses in Alberta Canada (calgary) where shipping & Handling DOSEN'T require a 2nd mortgage.
(1986 09/85 date reg cab LWB 4X4 2.9 5sp)

Again, any help is GREAT!
On an '86?

My honest advice?

the 1986 and early 1987 Rangers used an oddball caliper and a unique brake hose as compared to all other 1982.5-1994 Rangers

Considering the heinous cost of the proper 1986-2/87 brake hoses it might be cheaper (and faster) to REPLACE the calipers with those from an '83-94 and brake hoses for an '83-85 or 2/87-88

1989-94 hoses eliminate the frame mounted T-block for the front brake lines and integrate it into the frame end of the drivers side brake line and use a differen routing to the passenger side, but the calipers and pads are the same as any other ranger with the exception of the "oddball '86 & early 1987's. (on the "oddball" the pads are also different, less available and more expensive)

AD

Last edited:

alyoko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 (09-85)
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Allan (great name BTW)
I 'had' thought of swapping over to newer and was going to use a dead explorer as a donor, and swapping parts and modding is no problem with money & skill level .....just TIME! On a whim I hit up CANADIAN TIRE of all places and FOUND some front brake hoses!! As usual, ya have to pay first for special order parts and I figured it would be a week but actually it was the next day!! They where a tad bit expensive (34.00 each?!?) but they are exact match and should not interfere with tires/rims. should be able to size them up in a day or 2

again, thanks for all the input, sure I'll be back again for more as I did deeper and deeper into to this 'money trap'

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals