• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No crank after explorer swap

NBraun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I put a 97 explorer 5.0 with a m5r2 into my 94 5 speed 2wd. This may be a dumb issue, but I'm having trouble figuring out. I don't currently have the pcm and engine harness hooked up, but I figured I would see if the motor would turn over. It won't turn over. I'm not getting any power to the sense wire on the solenoid. I tried jumping the clutch switch, but that did nothing, not to mention it worked fine before hand. I figured since the solenoid has nothing to do with the engine it would turn over. But I could be missing something.

Thoughts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should turn over

Ignition switch in START, 12volt----------clutch switch------(red/blue wire)--------starter relay on fender

No computer or anything else involved
12v does come from engine fuse box, did you swap in V8 fuse box?
In 1994 fuse box, fuse #1, 60amp powered the ignition switch

Does starter work if you give "S" post 12volts?

NBraun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have power in the truck when I turn the ignition to acc.

I did not swap on the v8 fusebox.

If I jump the terminals the starter will spin.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The red/blue wire runs from starter relay to the large round multi-wire connector on firewall under brake booster
Connects to another red/blue wire in the cab that runs to clutch switch
Clutch switch has a 2nd red/blue wire, next to the 1st red/blue wire, that comes from ignition switch

Clutch switch has 3 switches inside, pins 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 are each separate switches
Each is closed/connected when clutch pedal is down all the way, and open/disconnected when pedal is up
5/6 are the two red/blue wires

Ignition switch(under steering column) only sends 12volts out on the red/blue wire when its pushed all the way to START position
The key operates a rod inside the column that pushes/pulls the ignition switch into its 4 positions, ACC, OFF, RUN, START
Called actuator rod
If key feels funny, it may not be pushing ignition switch all the way to START

Could be jumper on clutch switch didn't connect the two red/blue wires
Could be connection at the firewall large connector was damaged
Could be change in wiring harness disconnected red/blue wire in engine bay

NBraun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This helps alot! I will take a look at it tonight and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

NBraun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Still no luck.

I bypassed the clutch switch at the actual CS and still no luck. I have two other wires, a LB/Y which is input from the pcm and a GY/R which is output to the engine controls, according to the diagram i'm using. I cut the red power wire going to the ecu to power the explorer ecu, and thought that might be the culprit, but I ran 12v to the pcm and still no start.

I suppose i'll keep futzing with it, it just feels like i've checked everything that it could be.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
???

No PCM involvement on pre-1998 Rangers/Explorer, pre-PATS

Clutch switches other 2 internal switches are "neutral" sensors, used by PCM for REV limiter, cruise control module, and 4WD module(if so equipped) 4Low shifting

There is just the one wire from ignition switch to starter relay("S" post) on the inner fender, when that wire has 12volts, Relay is activated, and then starter motor is

NBraun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Right, I get this. I don't two red/blue wires at the c/s. I have 4 total, one is r/b, the other is pink. The other two are what I said earlier.

I have 12v going to the r/b wire at the clutch switch in the start position. I don't have continuity between the r/b wire at the clutch switch and the r/b wire at the solenoid.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What about the pink wire and the r/b wire at starter relay

Pink was used in some 1997s for the wire from clutch switch to the firewall connector, in that case the r/b would be from Fuse 24 in the cab fuse box, 10amp, but only has 12v at that fuse when key is in START

And this can also mean there was/is a Anti-theft system installed, a factory alarm with a starter interrupt relay
You would have Keyless entry if this was in place

NBraun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No pink wire at the starter relay?

I can't find a wiring diagram for a 94, I'm sure that would help things. I've been checking continuity and trying to find the wire that the r/b corresponds to inside the cab and can't find anything. I've checked the plug going into the cab and nothing. The only wire it has continuity to is another r/b wire that goes to an engine plug for the original 2.3L.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pink wire is on the clutch switch and changes to r/b color wire at the firewall and r/b wire runs to starter relay

So test if pink wire has continuity to r/b wire at starter relay

NBraun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Problem solved, should someone ever need this for future help. Ford ran the solenoid wire through the engine harness plugs. There are two, a gray and black. On the black plug there is a pink wire on the truck side, this gets 12v on start. Cut this and splice to your solenoid wire.

I'm guessing they left this in the harness for auto trucks and just spliced them together on manual trucks in the engine harness.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals