• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New tow pig.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tinting the windows!!

I ran out of tint, so thats as far as i got.
I got a highschool buddy that runs a body shop/tint shop and he gives me his scrap pieces!
15% on all the glass, might go two layers if i want it darker.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 9-row bus. It's got a DTA360 Navistar engine--same displacement as the 5.9 Cummins, but 400# heavier. It's a Fuller 6-speed and we get 12mpg with it. I pulled the 4.78 pumpkin and have a 3.73 to put in, which I hope to do this weekend. The worst thing about a bus is the interstate. With 4.78s my bus has made 69mph max on level road. That's with a motor with a 5" stroke spinning 2900rpm. The pistons must be doing the speed of light. The worst thing is, you go into 6th at 45mph, which means that on a hill, you have no gear to go down into until you are dragged down to 45mph. When I get this new pumpkin in, I expect to kick ass on the interstate. I don't use first now. I will use first and have a gear to go into and still maintain speed with the new chunk.

A bus is loud. Mine is filled with carpentry--one side is bunks and the other is booths--cabinets all along the roof. Also, the ceiling is deadened with B-Quiet Ultimate. This year I'm building a roof platform. We have an AC unit on the roof, a big Generac RV generator and my house is set up so the bus can power it during outages. A 5-row is pretty short. With a 9, we have a bathroom, a kitchen, 5 bunks, a leather couch that folds down into a double, 2 dinettes that seat 8 total (all with belts) and a pair of leather seats from a Dodge Caravan that recline. We have cabinets lining both sides of the ceiling above the windows with a built-in sound system that kicks ass. We have had 20+ people packed in during a thunderstorm at a state park and it was no problem.

I think a 5-row is cool, but to short to do much with. An 11 or 13 is more common, but too long to make maneuvering easy. An 8 or 9 is perfect.

I also installed a UPS jump seat over the stairs so one of my kids can keep me company.

Last edited:

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
This is going to be interesting, i can tell.
Subscribed

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
When the zombie apocalypse comes, you'll be ready with that thing.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 9-row bus. It's got a DTA360 Navistar engine--same displacement as the 5.9 Cummins, but 400# heavier. It's a Fuller 6-speed and we get 12mpg with it. I pulled the 4.78 pumpkin and have a 3.73 to put in, which I hope to do this weekend. The worst thing about a bus is the interstate. With 4.78s my bus has made 69mph max on level road. That's with a motor with a 5" stroke spinning 2900rpm. The pistons must be doing the speed of light. The worst thing is, you go into 6th at 45mph, which means that on a hill, you have no gear to go down into until you are dragged down to 45mph. When I get this new pumpkin in, I expect to kick ass on the interstate. I don't use first now. I will use first and have a gear to go into and still maintain speed with the new chunk.

A bus is loud. Mine is filled with carpentry--one side is bunks and the other is booths--cabinets all along the roof. Also, the ceiling is deadened with B-Quiet Ultimate. This year I'm building a roof platform. We have an AC unit on the roof, a big Generac RV generator and my house is set up so the bus can power it during outages. A 5-row is pretty short. With a 9, we have a bathroom, a kitchen, 5 bunks, a leather couch that folds down into a double, 2 dinettes that seat 8 total (all with belts) and a pair of leather seats from a Dodge Caravan that recline. We have cabinets lining both sides of the ceiling above the windows with a built-in sound system that kicks ass. We have had 20+ people packed in during a thunderstorm at a state park and it was no problem.

I think a 5-row is cool, but to short to do much with. An 11 or 13 is more common, but too long to make maneuvering easy. An 8 or 9 is perfect.

I also installed a UPS jump seat over the stairs so one of my kids can keep me company.
Pics?????

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Genny and roof A/C. Cost me two 30 packs of beer!!! Genny is a Onan 6K watt twin cylinder!
Goin back this week to get the hot water tank, and NICE front captian seats....

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pics?????
On my website, I think. They were on Facebook but I cancelled that.

http://willwills.com/

Looking over that, everything was on Facebook. Installing the roof air and generator--I know secret shit about that. You don't want to kill anyone. The electrical is more serious in a bus than an RV because everything is steel. People are always touching the steel.

When you install the generator, the neutral is bonded to the ground inside of the generator. That's the point of origin, and that is where it is supposed to be bonded. When you are on shore power the bonding should be in the campgrounds main box. Do not bond the ground and neutral in the box that you install in the bus. You will be introducing the risk of electrocuting your passengers--and it's a greater risk because, as I said, it's all steel.

I have been at campgrounds where there were GFCI and no 50amp service. On those, the only way to get power was to open the electrical panel and take the neutral wire off from the generator.

If you have any questions e-mail me at wcwills@yahoo.com. Mounting the AC on the curved roof is a challenge. Pick a mid-point between the C-channels or it will leak. It has to be level up there, and mounting it too close to the channel will make it tilt as the roof panels are squeezed flat when you tighten it.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
When you install the generator, the neutral is bonded to the ground inside of the generator. That's the point of origin, and that is where it is supposed to be bonded. When you are on shore power the bonding should be in the campgrounds main box. Do not bond the ground and neutral in the box that you install in the bus. You will be introducing the risk of electrocuting your passengers--and it's a greater risk because, as I said, it's all steel.

I have been at campgrounds where there were GFCI and no 50amp service. On those, the only way to get power was to open the electrical panel and take the neutral wire off from the generator.
Im not sure what your telling me.... Im am (was) knowledgeable on AC. But its been 20 yrs since i went to school for it, and if you dont use it you loose it. Im guessing i lost it... :)

I talked to my local RV repair shop about your reply. He said there is a "switch" on the camper i need to get too. I cant remember exactly what he called it, but i can find it.
Will this switch solve the problem your talking about?
Thanks for the help!!

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Guess i should go start a build thread...???

Got the A/C mounted!

Now i just have to figure out where to put this GIANT gennerator...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
is there enough room to build a platform on the back? put some sort of lockable cover on it and to keep the elements out. but something you could remove to use.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
is there enough room to build a platform on the back? put some sort of lockable cover on it and to keep the elements out. but something you could remove to use.
Ive thought about that, but then i couldnt open the back door easily, would make pulling a trailer more diffucult, it would be wayyyyyyy louder, ect ect.

Im just going to build a "box" to put it in and insulate the wholy hell out of it.

*edit*
And mount it behind the passinger rear tires. It will be on some sort of tray so i can pull it out some, so I can service it easier.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
nice. I like it...

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Patiently waiting for the 5 tons to be installed...........................

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I scored a gen/line power switch, hot water tank, 50 amp ext cord, mini microwave, battery isolator and 120 to 12v inverter!!!
I got a TON of nice chit for two 30 packs of cheap beer!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals