• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to Ranger - Is this Normal

JackDW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2003 Edge 4x4, 4.0, Auto with +160K

Background

Purchased this truck about a month ago for my Daughter to drive to school and work (she works at a stables providing Horse riding lessons). After first week, CEL came on (lean condition bank 1 and 2). PCV hose split so easy fix. Couple week later battery light on. ALT at zero. Replaced ALT all good until last week. Battery died, removed and cleaned and reconnected wiring harness of ALT all good again.

Changed oil, filter, gas filter. Truck has new K&N air filter. Dealer installed new brakes and tires. Truck should be good driver for daughter.

QUESTION: When sitting in Park, if I speed up the engine, it is very smooth until about 3200 RPM then it starts skipping and slowing down. I cannot get it to 3500 RPM when not driving. It works like a rev limiter. When driving the truck runs great. When pushed hard, the truck shifts at approx. 5,500 RPM and can easily run up to about 90 with no issues (did not try to push it futher). So does the truck have some type of rev limiter that works when not in gear??? I do not know the condition of the spark plugs, wires, etc but since it runs so well when being pushed, I don't think there is an issue but I am curious why it will not rev up when sitting still.

Thanks for any feedback. I am just curious if this is normal or not.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, you are hitting the PCM's electronic rev limiter. It is active in Park and Neutral. It is not active in gear.

I recommend caution with those K&N filters. I have seen more than a few mass air flow sensors get contaminated by oiled filters.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had a K&N on my truck since it was new with 65 miles on it. 280,000 strong now. Never had a problem but I'm really carefully when I clean a re-oil it. I recommend using the spray oil and not the pump. With the spray you can lightly re coat the filter.

But maybe the MAF is a different design in the older trucks.

But you are absolutely correct if you are not carefull....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have had a K&N on my truck since it was new with 65 miles on it. 280,000 strong now. Never had a problem but I'm really carefully when I clean a re-oil it. I recommend using the spray oil and not the pump. With the spray you can lightly re coat the filter.

But maybe the MAF is a different design in the older trucks.

But you are absolutely correct if you are not carefull....
Yeah, most of the ones I have seen were over oiled filters.

Some vehicles, like VWs, just have the sensor too close to the filter.

JackDW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, you are hitting the PCM's electronic rev limiter. It is active in Park and Neutral. It is not active in gear.

I recommend caution with those K&N filters. I have seen more than a few mass air flow sensors get contaminated by oiled filters.
Thanks for confirming that there is a rev limiter. Since it always cut back at the same RPM, I was guessing that it had a rev limiter.

I am well aware of the K&N issues. This was on the Truck when I purchased it. May consider picking up a stock air box from a local junk yard and use a stock filter. If I keep the K&N, I will be careful with the oiling. Thanks for the heads up.

:icon_cheers:

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS. Listen to adsm08. He's the shizz. I've got a K&M on my '2000 Maxima - love it. Some people hate on it but it's been all good to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals