• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New radiator won't fit

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I bought a cheaper radiator from Advanced auto and went to install it tonight and it won't fit. The new and old radiators are identical when compared side by side expect that it has attachments for an automatic transmission. If I remove the rubber foot from the support bracket then I can get it to bolt it but the fan shroud won't match up to the holes provided. I am a little ticked as this is the last thing I need to do before starting it after rebuilding the top end and it won't be till next week that I can get to the parts store again between work and christmas.

Any thoughts? Is this to be expected of these cheaper radiators? I looked up the part number and everything matches and it looks so close, I am tempted to just zip tie what I need and make it work.

Thanks for any ideas,

Philip

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it is typical.

Really up to you if you "make it work" or take it back, and will the next 3rd party one fit?

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Good to know, I might just do what I need to make it work for now. I really don't have time to shuffle through these cheap radiators to find one that fits perfectly.
Thanks,

rustywrench

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's your $$$$ and time but, I'd make them find the correct one. You will be cussing your makeshift setup the whole time you own the vehicle. Zip ties to hold a fan shroud or radiator in place are by no means permanent repairs. Unless you like re-fixing what you have already "fixed". Personally, I don't have time for that. I'd rather spend the time and $$$$ up front and fix it right, than keep re-clobbering my clobbering. Just me???

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Get the right one. You will cuss that SOB every time you look at it for ever.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals