• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Fuel Pump

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"Everybody has a plan until the get punched in the mouth....." Mike Tyson
Just changed the fuel pump on my 2000 Ranger. I put in a new relay and went to prime the system, but the pump does not come on. I Tried the old relay and checked all the connections, and the pump still does not come on. Any Ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check the inertia switch, in the cab, on passenger side firewall under glove box or behind kick panel on that side

Looks like this: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/fpi-jpg.198133/

Has a RED button on the top if its popped up push it back down

Next, jump relay and power the fuel pump directly
Pull out the relay
Ford usually uses Micro Relays for fuel pumps, slots seen here: https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/images/micro-automotive-relay-wiring.jpg

30 and 87 are to power fuel pump, one will have 12v all the time from fuel pump fuse, the other one goes to the fuel pump via the inertia switch connection
Put a jumper wire between these two slots and fuel pump should come on

If not then check fuel pump fuse
If its OK then new fuel pump is bad or the connector on the top of the gas tank is bad

12v--fuse--relay------------inertia switch------------------------fuel pump----ground

"New" doesn't mean "tested and working" any more
"New" now means "YOU TEST IT, and we will replace it if it doesn't work"

If you have a Mini Relay then different slot lay out but uses same numbers, 30 and 87, seen here: https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/images/mini-automotive-relay-wiring-840x.jpg

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How did you change the fuel pump? Drop the tank or pull the bed back? If you dropped the tank then maybe your connector fell off when re-installing. What you could do is loosen the bed bolt and stick a 2x4 in there (between the bed and frame) and reach up in there to see if you're still connected. My new pump (Masterpro brand) doesn't make any noise like the OEM one did.

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I took the bed off. In fact, it's still off. I reconnected the old pump. It doesn't' come on. I could hear it before.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the 4 wire connector are 2 ground wires, one for the pump and one for the sender(fuel gauge)
Test if they are both good grounds, OHM meter or continuity to metal frame

Do you hear the Double relay "click" with key on, PCM relay and FP relay both should click
FP relay then click off after 2 seconds

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Just a quick update. Did all that was recommended. On closer inspection of the pumps. The original pump had 8 wires/pins. The new on only had 7 wires/pins. Apparently, it was the wrong pump. Found the right one with 8 wires/pins and it fired right up. Thanks for the help.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Glad that was you and not me, ha. I'd still be scratching my *** while looking for the problem.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Just a quick update. Did all that was recommended. On closer inspection of the pumps. The original pump had 8 wires/pins. The new on only had 7 wires/pins. Apparently, it was the wrong pump. Found the right one with 8 wires/pins and it fired right up. Thanks for the help.
Where did you get the pump from? Glad you caught that.

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I have to give the credit to my buddy Andy. I noticed it before I installed it but, I guess I was in fuel pump denial (I didn't want to have to buy another pump...LOL). He said here's your problem. lol I think it's because my truck is the flex fuel 3.0. So, I took the old pump with me to R and L auto and got the right one. There is also a rectangular pack in the wiring on the right pump that wasn't there on the one I bought online. It's true what they say, "Knowledge is expensive". I was also going down the wrong track because the pump I bought online didn't come with the tank pressure sensor. I was taking the one out of the original pump and broke it. So I had to buy a new one. Thats why the pump online was so much cheaper than a local one. Anyway I was thinking that was the problem and forgot all about the missing pin/wire. Overall, a good learning experience. Always take the old part to the parts store and compare before you buy. :)

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
When I changed the pump I drained the tank. It was very clean. As I was diagnosing the pump issue we found a wire connection on the old pump the was loose. I had tried to hook the wires to the old pump while the online (new / wrong) pump was still in the tank. Th old pump wouldn't run even direct pos/neg to the battery. Once we pushed the connector together it would run. so that may have been the original problem.

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Final update on new fuel pump. Just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone who pitched in with help and advice. I really appreciate it! this is a fantastic website and I am proud to be a member! Look for my next thread as I tackle the next issue I am having. On to the update, first. I just came back from test driving the Ranger after getting the right pump installed and the bed put back on. Seems to run a lot better. I remember before thinking it was low on power and started envisioning a v8 in my near future. However I am a bit more encouraged and freshly invigorated to work with what I have. We will see what it does after new plugs and wires! Next thread will cover my speedometer woes. Thanks again!

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How's the condition of your filler tube? They tend to split right there where they go into the tank. If its not too bad you can repair it with Ultrablack.

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
filler tube looked good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals