• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need wiring verification please

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My friend is going to wire in some led pod lights on his truck and doesn't know how to do the wiring so I drew up a diagram that I think is correct but I'm not an electrical guy myself so I just want to verify.

What he wants to do is replace the reverse lights with with led pods so that they function as normal. But he also wants them to be able to be on with his front pods lights for a parked at the lake situation. Simple enough. But the trickier part is he also wants them to be off while his front lights are still on for a driving situation.

Let me know if something doesn't make sense and I'll do what I can to clarify.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just put trans in Reverse with key on when you want the reverse light on.
Set E-brake if automatic, lol

Or change reverse light power to trans switch to FUSED 24/7 power, so key doesn't have to be on, lights only come on in reverse

You can do it with a relay but really don't need to for this.

You would use a 5 pin relay on the Reverse light wire coming OUT of trans switch TO the lights

87A would connect to trans Switch OUT wire
30 would connect TO Light wire
87A and 30 are connected when relay is OFF, so normal operation

87 and 85(or 86) would be 24/7 Fused power rated for reverse light amps
86(or 85) would be a Ground wire run up to an ON/OFF switch in the cab, just local cab ground needed to this switch

When switch is ON relay closes and power is sent to reverse lights, 87 and 30 connected
When switch is OFF relay is open and normal operation.

5 pin relay diagram here: http://www.accessconnect.com/images/5_mini_relay.jpg
85 and 86 is the coil, when it has 12v AND a ground it pulls "bar" from 87a to 87

You can use an LED switch so a light on the switch is on when relay is closed(reverse lights on) no extra wiring since switch has 12v(via coil) and ground

If you wanted it to be 'automatic' then you would need 1 more relay but reverse lights would be on when front lights are on anytime key was off, so no option to turn them off with out a switch...........and if you are going to have a switch anyway might as well just use 1 relay

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals