• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Speedo Help Quickly

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heres what happened:

Driving to work after my last final exam today, my speedo suddenly shot up past 180 km/h, all the way to touching bottom. It went up extremely quickly, from 60 to 180 in about a half second. It is now stuck there, and I have no speedometer.

It has done something similar in the past, would shoot up and read high for a couple minutes, but always went back to normal relatively quickly. The trip and odometer are both working as normal however.

I am going home for christmas, a 3 hour drive, in two days so I need this fixed quick. I have gathered from the tech library my 93 has a cable operated Speedo. Could the problem be the cable, or is it likely the speedo guage itself?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm thinking you need a new head. Sounds like the innards that run the needle broke and the needle fell. Since it was on the high side of the gauge that's where it went. If you'd been below 45 MPH it would have fallen down, and if you'd been at 45, it woulda been a crap shoot.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Except I did my math wrong. 60 KPH is only about 37 MPH. The issue is still likely in the head.

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so what is the head? Is that in the gauge itself?

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, that is the speedo in the dash. They are removable from the cluster so a boneyard unit should slide right in its place by just removing a few screws...

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the speedo unit is seperable from the rest of the cluster? I talked to the dealer and they told me I would have to replace the whole cluster, so this is great news!

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep. You can remove each any every gauge separately including the speedo. The stealership wants to sell big dollar parts so they sell the whole cluster.

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That doesnt surprise me at all. I couldn't get the part through any parts stores here or the dealer, but have located one at a wrecker. He's pulling the whole cluster for me, and it comes with a warranty. Hopefully with this cluster my tach will read correctly again too.

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just to finish off this thread, here's an update:

Got a whole new cluster from a wrecker, and just swapped the old one out. The speedo now works just fine, and my tach is now correct as well. It always worked seemingly as normal, it just always seemed to read a lot lower than actual rpm. It was a pretty easy swap, just followed the how to on swaping out the cluster from the write up in the tech library under "how speedometer works". The only minor problem encountered was having to disconnect the speedo cable from the transfer case so I could pull the cluster out far enough to slip my hand behind and pull the speedo cable of the back of the cluster.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yep. You can remove each any every gauge separately including the speedo. The stealership wants to sell big dollar parts so they sell the whole cluster.
It's more like FORD decided that just making the individual heads wasn't cost effective and so the individual heads aren't available separately. That makes the only way to get them buying a whole cluster.

Don't demonize the dealer because the manufacturer won't sell him the smaller parts.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
It's more like FORD decided that just making the individual heads wasn't cost effective and so the individual heads aren't available separately. That makes the only way to get them buying a whole cluster.

Don't demonize the dealer because the manufacturer won't sell him the smaller parts.
Thank you man, I'm glad somebody out there gets it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thank you man, I'm glad somebody out there gets it.
Honestly, I don't think anyone can truly understand the reasons things are the way they are at the dealership until they have spent a few years working in one.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Yep, people always call us the "stealership" but if you wanted cheap why did you go there? You had to know it was more expensive. Parts, just like getting work done in the service department, isn't about getting it done cheap. It's about getting it done right with the right components.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals