• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need some more help

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
88 2.9 ranger, well i got the heads on and drove it home from the old mans shop, ran fine all the way home. the next morning it started bogging out at higher RPM's, i have new ,plugs, cap,roter and plug wires. i checked all vacum lines all the rubber lines are new as well. if the throutle sencer was bad would it do this. any info..........

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im thinkin it might be the tfi

El_Capitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 1987 but
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You pull the codes yet? I doubt its the tfi... :beer:

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i checked all vacum lines all the rubber lines are new as well.QUOTE]

try sprayin propane near the vaccuum lines whiles it runnin and if it revs up you kow its vaccuum problem... if no check cats. or o2. dont know if this is accurate but the propane trick works sharp... also run codes and if you cant figure it out, pull the exhaust off for a minute and see if it still does.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
you might have a bad pick-up coil (hall effect) under the distributor.

have changed the fuel filter & air filter??

have you tried to pull codes??

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i changed the fuel filter last year the air filter i keep clean. i took it to schucks so they could pull codes, they didnt help much. when its could, like if i start it and take off it runs good, when it warms up then it starts to do this. it starts really easy like it has from day one.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
i changed the fuel filter last year the air filter i keep clean. i took it to schucks so they could pull codes, they didnt help much. when its could, like if i start it and take off it runs good, when it warms up then it starts to do this. it starts really easy like it has from day one.
What were the codes??

you're right...at this point it could be a multitude of things...but your sysmtoms do hint of classic TFI problems.

while you were at you favorite parts store you could of popped the TFI off of it and had the test it too.

If I understand correctly....runs fine cold ,as soon as, you get warmed up and goes to closed loop..or is open?? anyway... when comes off the warm up/cold start presets and the sensors take over on management...then troubles start. with that in mind it would be lodgical to be a sensor issue.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i put a new TFI on and same thing, so its not that, one of the codes read open spout, i checked that and its fine.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
double check connections maybe you have one that is...iffy?? exspecally grounds

have you back probed the TPS with analog multi-meter...& see if it swings voltage smoothly (no hic-up)from closed to WOT.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
here are the codes it ran. 67, koer, 18 spout circuit open, 77 wide open throuttle not sensed. what do you mean probe the TPS, i dont know shit when it comes to electronics. thanks for your help guys.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a year ago i had it tested at schucks for some thing cant remember but that guy said my TPS was going bad, thats the only thing that came up. would my truck sputter and do this if the TPS was going out? i thought once they are bad they are bad, no?

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i put a new fuel filter in to day just to see if maybe it was that since i have run on E acouple of times and i really dont know whats in that tank, any wayz took it out and sure as shit if im givein it half to full throutle it starts cutting out, like its not getting fuel or spark . i broke down and said #uck it im done so to marrow im takeing it to a shop. i have never done this , i hate others working on my rigs but im done with it, want to say thanks to all that had info for me, thanks mike

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals